What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

I've paid hard-earned money to other people who have paid their hard-earned money to get a M&F brush. :lol: I've just come to accept that Lee is "delightfully" enigmatic. Say what you will, but NOBODY who has read this thread should contact Lee expecting super-fast turnaround and problem-free communications. :) In all seriousness, and I'm absolutely NOT saying this to be derisive or dismissive, but you should absolutely consider Lee's quirks as one of the defining parts of an M&F brush.

It's like ordering a red car, then complaining when it's red. Again, not trying to be dismissive - I share in your frustrations as I have never been "chosen" by Lee... But if you can't accept maybe getting the wrong brush, or maybe not getting a return email, then you should probably buy a Thäter, Simpson, Shavemac, Rudy Vey, etc. They're all very fine brushes, and you'll have a much more predictable time getting one. However, if you can tolerate, or even appreciate Lee's quirks, there is no better shaving brush to be had.

I don't have a problem with getting the wrong brush, I have a problem with not responding to someone who has paid you money for said brush. He can run his business how he likes but I think it's helpful to warn others of the pitfalls of ordering from him once the purchase is made. I could care less if he never responded to me at first, this is customer care afterwards but I digress, I've derailed the thread so back on topic for me.

I don't have a problem with getting the wrong brush, I have a problem with not responding to someone who has paid you money for said brush. He can run his business how he likes but I think it's helpful to warn others of the pitfalls of ordering from him once the purchase is made. I could care less if he never responded to me at first, this is customer care afterwards but I digress, I've derailed the thread so back on topic for me.

On the contrary, I think the is very on-topic. Lee's business practices are very much a part of his product. If you didn't get what you ordered, I think it is quite fair to, after a certain amount of time has passed, to file an honest PayPal dispute.

As for myself, and I'm completely serious, if I ever get enough money, I'm going to write Lee the following email:
"Lee,
Hello, I would like to buy a shaving brush.
Sincerely,
chamm."

I think I would probably get the best brush ever made. :)

On the contrary, I think the is very on-topic. Lee's business practices are very much a part of his product. If you didn't get what you ordered, I think it is quite fair to, after a certain amount of time has passed, to file an honest PayPal dispute.

As for myself, and I'm completely serious, if I ever get enough money, I'm going to write Lee the following email:
"Lee,
Sincerely,
chamm."

Haha they are great brushes, no disputing that. Hopefully we can resolve it without anything further than email and truthfully I've said it before he's been nothing but a gentleman in our correspondence. I would still recommend his brushes over all others I own which is about sixty or so right now.

"Lee,
Sincerely,
chamm."

My money says you won't get a response. :)

My money says you won't get a response. :)
Nope, and even if he did...it's like going to a restaurant and saying "I want supper" and hoping they bring you something you want...and where do you send the letter :lol:

Not sure about you, but I'm not wasting my hard earned money with a gamble like that.

Last edited:
I dunno... I get the feeling (strictly from second-hand accounts) that Lee is a gifted artisan, and I can understand how it would be sort of frustrating to constantly get emails like "I want a two-band Stubby 2XL, but slightly longer than a normal 2XL. I need Heritage hair, NOT Blonde Badger. I'd like it red, but not TOO red, you know? 28mm knot with a 52.5mm loft. 53mm is just TOO long. I'd like a hybrid fan/bulb, but definitely not too bulbey. Closer to a fan than a bulb. Oh, and please use the newer Heritage hair, not the old stuff. Gel tips. With hooks."

I picture Michelangelo following some bishop around the Sistine Chapel, and the bishop is going "OK, we want some angels over there, but not too many angels, you know? Like maybe four or five, but they need to be baby angels. And fat. Nobody like a skinny baby. And I want God, sitting on a cloud, somewhere on the east walk, but not too high..."

I dunno... I get the feeling (strictly from second-hand accounts) that Lee is a gifted artisan, and I can understand how it would be sort of frustrating to constantly get emails like "I want a two-band Stubby 2XL, but slightly longer than a normal 2XL. I need Heritage hair, NOT Blonde Badger. I'd like it red, but not TOO red, you know? 28mm knot with a 52.5mm loft. 53mm is just TOO long. I'd like a hybrid fan/bulb, but definitely not too bulbey. Closer to a fan than a bulb. Oh, and please use the newer Heritage hair, not the old stuff. Gel tips. With hooks."

I picture Michelangelo following some bishop around the Sistine Chapel, and the bishop is going "OK, we want some angels over there, but not too many angels, you know? Like maybe four or five, but they need to be baby angels. And fat. Nobody like a skinny baby. And I want God, sitting on a cloud, somewhere on the east walk, but not too high..."

:lol: I'm snorting and peeing myself.

so how does the process go - do you get to specify a brush or he just sends you what he has?

I agree with Bruce. So it generally goes for me - I say I want x type handle.

He says he has x type handle in two colors - whichever they are, and thinks it would be great at x loft in "fill in the blank' badger hair, three band, finest, blonde. It will be xxx British pounds.

I've never had him offer more than one hair and at times he has told me he only has one hair in stock.

So I think you can get a pretty custom knot, it is mostly the colors you seem to be at the mercy of his stock. Also, it seems it you follow this thread people will tell you when he is responding to emails, that may be a good time to send him one.

I have sent him say 20 emails and gotten 4 or 5 responses.

For the price, and even for any price, his brushes are spectacular. I love the handles. I love the knots. It is clearly for enthusiasts only. I am not an expert this is just my experiences. He doesn't write long responses and uses an iPad or iPhone and also has spell correct sometimes misspell his stuff.

The one time I went through the process, the ordering part couldn't have been easier. Two quick emails back and forth, post the money, and Lee said he had already started building the brush. Then the wait . . . which stretched on for weeks, with various email queries about tracking info that went unanswered until finally, a month and a half later, he finally did. The first brush had apparently been lost in transit, so he would build me another and ship it immediately, and that one arrived a week later. Eventually I realized he had never sent the first brush but had most likely just forgotten to ship it, and after some prompting, finally did so. It was a great brush.

No harm, no foul. And I've got a Lee story to go with it. :001_rolle

Top Bottom