What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Who wants a Rooney Heritage if you have an M&F blonde badger one.:lol:

If it's 3-band Heritage I'd jump at it. Awesome stuff. I do like the M&F better than the 2-band Heritage, but the 2-band Heritage isn't bad either. Some brushes I can't get enough of, but my Stubby 1 in 2-band Heritage is enough for me! :thumbup1:

Gents,

I just ordered my second M&F, except this time I went with a 24mm knot 48mm loft. I have a friend in Germany, Uwe, and he has the exact brush I am ordering and he says it is pure face lathering Nirvana, so I contacted Lee and asked him to make me one. I should have it in a couple weeks and will write a report on it in this thread. I expect that it will rival my Chubby 2 in 2-band! :thumbup1:

My True Horn Blond Badger arrived today.

25.5mm knot, 52mm loft.

Handle is very nicely patterned, turning is done well, but there's a small patch of what I think are tool marks that I personally LIKE, but I suspect were supposed to be removed. Badger stink was moderate to high. Smell reminds me VERY much of my Plisson.

First use Review:

Density: Good. I would expect comparable to a high end Simpson two band. Similar density to my Duke 2 two band. Below Rooney Finest, similar or just a hair below Shavemac D01. Seems a fair bit denser than the two band reknot I had Lee do for me (also a nice brush).

Softness: Between Simpson Two band and Rooney X' series stubbys. Closer to the Simpson. A nice two band hair for softness, but not exceptional.

Backbone: Comparible to D01 Two band and below Rooney Finest, making it the second stiffest two band I've tried.

Shape: It's a bulb. If you like bulbs, you're gonna love this brush. I'd be curious to see this hair in a fan (Oh wait, I have one :001_tt2:), but it certainly makes nice bulb brushes.

Lathering: What's there to say? A good, dense, two band badger is always going to lather great.

Bloom: Very nice. The hairs spread out nice and evenly and have a very good spacing. The density here is well balanced. Excellent feel and performance without going super dense.

Left to right:

1/2 Finest, Duke 2 two band, M&F Blond Badger Horn (25.5mm, 52mm loft), Lee Sabini 2 band reknot (23mm knot, 49mm loft, fan shape)

The Duke 2 looks significantly denser because it doesn't bloom (it's one of the very pointy Simpsons that you hear so much about), densities are in actuality very similar between it and the M&F.

Last edited:
And now he gets his moment to shine.

First pic is what I'm talking about when I mention machining marks (light vertical lines uniformly spaced at the bottom of the brush and between the rings)... may also be some kind of trait to the horn I've not seen before. I think they look neat. The rest of the brush is polished just as smooth and shiny as you could hope for.

Nice horn handle with silver label, Ian. It is just gorgeous. For lines, I love horizontal lines in vintage handles, you know the hand lathe feeling.

Anyway I sent message to Mr. Sabini about white handled version(24mm knot, 52mm loft) and he said it will be 67 pounds delivered. I am not complaining about the price but a guy said he took for 50 pounds. Any clarifications for these issue. Thanks.

It probably depends on the particular brush. Also, as demand rises, his price no doubt does as well. These brushes used to sell on eBay for just over the starting bid, the last one he listed went for about $150.

I think it does depend on the brush. Mine was a little more than the last two posters, but not much. It's not the densest, softest or any other superlative descriptor, brush I own, but somehow, everything about this brush just seems exactly in the right balance. It may be the best, most enjoyable to use brush I own.

It probably depends on the particular brush. Also, as demand rises, his price no doubt does as well. These brushes used to sell on eBay for just over the starting bid, the last one he listed went for about $150.

Thank you for your information gents. And also I gave info about the brush. I wish I got the second chance offer for £46. I hate the limitations.

I would also imagine that shipping to Turkey is a bit more pricey than to the USA since we are only a small jump across the pond...Food for thought.

I would also imagine that shipping to Turkey is a bit more pricey than to the USA since we are only a small jump across the pond...Food for thought.

My friend I think there is no difference. I take my postages via Royal Mail Airmail(small packets £1.50 and up to £8) at most 10 days after the purchase unless they are trackable. IME, they always search trackable postages but not normal ones and this statement is also true for USPS. I do not know how much does it cost for US anyway.

Only used mine twice, but I am really liking it. I' a bit embarrased to say that I've collected over 40 badger brushes (Simpson (Best, 3-Band Super, 2-Band), Rooney (Super, Finest, Heritage 2-Band), Shavemac (D01 3-band, D01 2-Band), Savile Row, TGN (Finest, Super Silvertip, Silvertip Grade A, Best, Black), Kent, Vie-long, Plisson (HMW), Semogue, New Forest). But, if I was forced to keep/use only one,this might be the one. It just seems to have all the parameters adjusted properly. It's not "too" anything. Lee really did a superlative job of really understanding the characteristics of the hair and choosing great specs to complement them. All the parameters just seem so well balanced and work so well together. The closest comparison I can make is the new Rooney Heritage 2-band XXXL I have, but I like the face feel and superior springiness of the knot in the M&F brush.

Mine came in! A 24m/m and a 27m/m horn handled beauties. I've used the 24 once and it is just a super brush! Very dense, not like a Rooney Heritage but nearly and has a little more backbone. Its feels just right. Will get the bigger one going in the next few days. Lee also included a puck of his M & F shave soap that should get some interest going. Loaded with shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil and a few other goodies! It is a glycerine based soap with a nice sandalwood scent...really like it on first use!

Fred

Top Bottom