What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Not to hijack the thread, but for those interested in big HUGE knots, there are some Thäter 2-band available at Royal Shave. It would be interesting to compare the new offering from Thäter against the M&F Blonde Badger.

There are Thater 2 bands now listed at Straight Razor Design's site as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but for those interested in big HUGE knots, there are some Thäter 2-band available at Royal Shave. It would be interesting to compare the new offering from Thäter against the M&F Blonde Badger.

I'm interested in that comparison as well. Bring it!

Ken

I'm interested in that comparison as well. Bring it!

Ken

I should have my 26/49 Thater on Tuesday and will compare to my M&F 24/52. I already know the M&F is less dense than the Thater's, but my M&F is from his first batch. Report will commence then.

I must admit that I sat on the Morris & Forndran fence for a looong time,. but just this past week, I bought a M&F 1/2 from a shave buddy... well known on the boards. I've used it every day since it arrived and I've just been blown away by it!
I've got a few Simpsons in Best and 2-band Super, and I thought all the Morris & Forndran talk was hype.. After all, how different could it be from a Simpsons 2-band?
Well, it's been a real eye opener for me, because the difference is huge!
The Blonde Badger tips are whiter, softer and no loss of backbone. It tears up hard soaps, and whips creams like a Waring blender!
I've only had the brush a week, but I don't want to use anything else.

I like it so much, I just corresponded with Lee and ordered another in Butterscotch with Blonde hair... I always did have a weakness for Blondes...

Don't be a doubter and procrastinator like me... Believe the hype!

And thanks to Ken for providing Lee's contact info oh so long ago!

I've only had the brush a week, but I don't want to use anything else.

I like it so much, I just corresponded with Lee and ordered another in Butterscotch with Blonde hair... I always did have a weakness for Blondes...

Don't be a doubter and procrastinator like me... Believe the hype!

Welcome to the club, glad to learn of another convert!

I already know the M&F is less dense than the Thater's, but my M&F is from his first batch. Report will commence then.

It is ?
I just looked at mine, side-by-side, both well broken in, and the M&F looks and feels denser. It's one of Lee's earlier models, in fact I think I bought it from Ken, the horn handled one. (The brush, not Ken :001_tt2:)

Ken, the horn handled one. (The brush, not Ken :001_tt2:)

You cracked me up, George:thumbup:

Regardless, this likely goes back to a person's definition of density (coupled with variation between specimens) If someone is comparing a three band Thäter to a two band blonde, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Thäter had a greater number of hairs in the same size knot. Not necessarily a good thing, just a function of the properties of the different hair used.

That said, all my M&F two bands have really great density, perfect for the hair they are made from.

Cheers,

Ken

I would like to give props to Loric and ltjaw for filling me with such great information in my exploration to find a brush. It's because of those two that I have this gem as my third brush and first brush in a quality badger.

The knot is 26mm, 51 mm loft. Shipped and received in 7 days (no lie) and it is a dream. I gave it a soak for 1-2 minutes just giving it a soft and gentle swirl in the water. I was fascinated watching it swell slowly in the water. You can actually watch these brushes swell in bloom from water absorption. I put the same amount of CO Bigelow in my mug that you put on your toothbrush (as I always do) and I counted... 20 seconds is where I stopped for you to see the lather in the posted pic. I shaved my WTG, XTG and ATG each time lathering up. Previously using my VDH and Burma Shave brushes (the other two I own) that amount was perfect for a three pass shave. I'll be cutting about a third of cream when I use the M&F. That guy had enough lather build up for 5-6 passes easily. When I rinsed out the brush I cleaned out my mug and then filled it up with warm/hot water and swirled the brush like I was building a lather to give the brush a nice cleanse throughout. I did this several times until I felt it was good and clean. I was wrong! When I took my thumb and index finger and clamped down gently on the base of the knot and worked my way towards the head I found the head contained lather to cover my cheek.

This brush is a dream and will never be sold. Thank you all again for bringing me into the M&F family.

Attachments

• $IMG_1677.jpg
    $IMG_1677.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 355
  • $IMG_1666.jpg
    $IMG_1666.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 357
  • $IMG_1679.jpg
    $IMG_1679.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 355
It is ?
I just looked at mine, side-by-side, both well broken in, and the M&F looks and feels denser. It's one of Lee's earlier models, in fact I think I bought it from Ken, the horn handled one. (The brush, not Ken :001_tt2:)

My M&F is the least dense brush I own from a rotation of 10 brushes. I was somewhat disappointed with it on arrival, though it does a good job in hind sight. Maybe I got a lemon one for density, but even my Duke, Caravela, etc. are way more dense than my M&F.

My M&F is the least dense brush I own from a rotation of 10 brushes. I was somewhat disappointed with it on arrival, though it does a good job in hind sight. Maybe I got a lemon one for density, but even my Duke, Caravela, etc. are way more dense than my M&F.

Joe, without seeing your brush in person, I don't think you got a "lemon" or a mistakenly less dense brush. Didn't you order one from Lee early in the year? At this time, he was still using his first batch of hair, which I believe works better less densely packed. I think your comment about it doing a good job in hindsight matches my experience. My original 24x54mm Blonde is one of my best performing brushes, and it is not dense. I prefer it to much more densely packed brushes in my rotation because it makes lathering easy, and it makes great lather.

I just ordered my second Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger, and specified nothing out of the ordinary.
I believe that Mr. Sabini knows infinitely more about designing a shave brush than I do..

Dayton,

That is a gorgeous brush, and I have no doubt it feels fantastic when put to use. Congratulations. I am very happy to hear that you are enjoying it. You went straight to the top with this one.

Now, you must be very, very careful, lest you succumb to the SBAD. Finding a brush like this as your first nice badger brush might have you consider trying other nice badger brushes. It makes such great lather and feels so great, might there not be something even better out there? Be satisfied. You found it. Just shave and enjoy!

Now I want one just like yours, btw.

+1 on the SBAD. I'm going to do some restorations I think just to entertain me and maybe make a buck or two on the side. That new soap I bought today from two sisters in the organic soap business has really stunned me though. My face is almost always BBS but that moisturizer in their soaps put my BBS skin over the top. I'm really wanting a M&F black.... I'm only 3 razors away from being done ambitiously finding razors. I want to have user grade or better of a Gillette from the 10's, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. So far I have all but 20's, 50's and 60's.

Top Bottom