What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

I hope this is kosher--I'm a little confused why Lee does business in such an unusual way. Are there any good reasons to be email-only? Is this, in fact, a legitimate business?

I hope this is kosher--I'm a little confused why Lee does business in such an unusual way. Are there any good reasons to be email-only? Is this, in fact, a legitimate business?

Judging from the sheer volume of M&F brushes whose pictures have been posted in this >1000 post thread (!), it seems legit.

Lee is definitely legit and makes some great brushes. I've bought 2 brushes from him as well as his shaving soap. It's probably less expensive for him to run his business that way, which translates into getting his brushes at a fair price.

Honestly, I think his initial intention was to sell through standard channels (and that is beginning to happen) but the initial response from this group (primarily due to Seth starting the thread) caught him off guard and he's been cranking out custom one offs ever since. Now it seems he's beginning to get caught up and can start his "standard models through retailers" business as IMO he intended to do from the start.

Doesn't change the fact that Lee is a great guy to deal with one on one and he'll still make you whatever you're looking for. Many of the brush makers we know will... Bernd, Simpsons etc. Even Plisson will make you a custom brush if you ask them to.

Ken

+1

Honestly, I think his initial intention was to sell through standard channels (and that is beginning to happen) but the initial response from this group (primarily due to Seth starting the thread) caught him off guard and he's been cranking out custom one offs ever since. Now it seems he's beginning to get caught up and can start his "standard models through retailers" business as IMO he intended to do from the start.

Doesn't change the fact that Lee is a great guy to deal with one on one and he'll still make you whatever you're looking for. Many of the brush makers we know will... Bernd, Simpsons etc. Even Plisson will make you a custom brush if you ask them to.

Ken

This thread inspired me to order a brush from Lee also. He is a great guy to do business with. Mine is a Rooney style 3 handle about 55 mm tall in black with a 20 mm knot and 48 mm loft. It just got placed in the mail yesterday so I'm looking forward to receiving it and putting up pictures.

Last edited:
Photos when it arrives, please. I'm quite intrigued by faux onyx.

They will be posted as soon as it arrives, don't worry ;)

Check the "In Praise of LARGE brushes" thread for pics of SSUltan's faux onyx brush...he has the same one I think...and I think Rooney made the same handle in a Finest hair at one point, too...they are floating around.

Ken

He told me last winter that he was setting up his own website to sell the brushes and intended to have it on-line by March. I suspect the birth of his new daughter and all of Ken and Sameer's orders have delayed his schedule.

Mike

Hah Mike, we do our best to keep you all entertained...Lee's been extremely busy lately. I suspect it's to supply his new retail customers (Vintage/Classic) as well as all the one-off items from enthusiasts. Plus, he DOES have a life outside doing brushes for us :)

I do see him getting more and more busy now that his business plan seems to be unfolding well...I wish him all the best in his endeavors :)

He told me last winter that he was setting up his own website to sell the brushes and intended to have it on-line by March. I suspect the birth of his new daughter and all of Ken and Sameer's orders have delayed his schedule.

Mike

They will be posted as soon as it arrives, don't worry ;)

Check the "In Praise of LARGE brushes" thread for pics of SSUltan's faux onyx brush...he has the same one I think...and I think Rooney made the same handle in a Finest hair at one point, too...they are floating around.

Yup, I do own a green faux onyx, it's the twin of the one Ben owns (30/31mm 2-band with 54-55mm loft). Ken's 665 is from a different batch, back from days-long-gone when the FINEST grade was still obtainable :)

Ken

+2

Interestingly enough, and I don't know what Lee would say about this, but his avenue makes him unique compared to the other bigger names. At any time I can go Plisson, Shavemac, Rooney, or Simpsons and browse through their standards. Yeah, if you want a custom they will make it for you, but you have to know what you want. With Lee I have been able to email him, describing what I am looking for and throwing in some evaluations of other brushes in order to give him an idea of what I am looking for in a brush --- I have then relied on his expertise. I have not been steered wrong yet.

How many companies do you get the opportunity to communicate and brainstorm directly with the top dog?

I think the end result is that I love each brush I get from him a little bit more. Each one is the product of our communication and exchange of ideas, and each one has done a better job of "fitting my need." Its a much more interactive and intimate buying process, as opposed from choosing from a list... which I like.

Ok. Done with my Lee plug. =)

If the existing posts in this thread don't convince you then why would additional posts convince you? He's definitely legit, FWIW. I don't see why this approach should be suspect. Not everyone uses the same channels.

If you're still suspicious and insist on the web site ordering experience then order via Classic Shaving.

Last edited:
Oh yes, Ben has the monopoly on Lee's brushes at the moment, with Dr. Peter not too far behind I suspect!!! Compared to those two heavy hitters, Ken and I are but feather-weights!!!

Top Bottom