What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

FWIW, my Blonde also gets clumpy/crunchy when dry.

On another topic, I'm actually calling my brush a Dirty Blonde. It had uniform white tips when I first purchased it, but got the appearance of a stain after it's inaugural lather back in late december. I happened to be using Haslinger Schafmilch that day which contains lanolin - apparently a potential brush stainer. The same issue, although more severe, was reported by @Tester28 in the Wiborg thread. I washed it like crazy as soon as i saw the discoloration but it did not get better (or worse). Oh well, not a huge deal, it's a fantastic performer.

Anyone else have patches of brown mixed into otherwise white tips in a Blonde knot?

I have two blondes that both have some darker patches. At first I was concerned, but they perform beautifully, and I haven't had the time to give it much thought.. They are the only brushes with these patches.
Anyone know what it is?

Wouldn't mind seeing pics.

For what it's worth I haven't noticed this happening on any of mine. I don't use a lot of soaps with lanolin currently but I have in the past with M&F's and never noticed a problem regarding coloration.

This has happened to all five of my latest batch of finest hair. The very tips take on a brown coloration

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind seeing pics.

For what it's worth I haven't noticed this happening on any of mine. I don't use a lot of soaps with lanolin currently but I have in the past with M&F's and never noticed a problem regarding coloration.

Same here. M&Fs with MWF and no change of colour.

I have a Blonde that acts more like the Finest then...

My blonde badger does NOT bunch up and get crunchy when dry.

This is crazy talk. I have two finests that bunch up and get crunchy when dry and have had several blondes; never have done that. Both finests I have received are gel tips though. One from early 2014 one from late.

Just received a couple of brushes from Lee, including an imitation horn in a Rooney 3/2 shape with 23 mm 2-band hair, as well as a real horn (Plisson-style) brush with 26 mm 3-band hair. I'll try to post pictures at some point.

I understand the challenges that many have faced in getting email responses from Lee. Despite this, I encourage you all to keep trying, while remaining open to the exact style. He delivers a beautiful brush at a very fair price. He won't respond to some emails but he is an honorable guy focused on making and delivering fine brushes.

I have a couple of other M&F 2-band brushes so it will be fun to try the 3-band. I can't comment on performance quite yet but can say that the 3-band is a touch softer with a little less backbone than the 2-band. That said, it has more backbone than my Simpson Duke 3 in Best, which is quite soft.

John

He has 2-band and may have some 3-band. The former has more backbone, the latter more flexibility and softness. I can't speak for Lee but this has been my experience.

Which is a higher grade- finest or blonde? Are those the only two grades of hair Lee has?

His labelling can be quite perplexing, but, in general, his Finest is the 'higher' grade, or the most expensive depending on size and such.
His 3-Band Heritage brushes can also be fairly expensive, again, depending on size, and possibly handle material and they are less common, I believe.
He does offer the Heritage 2-Band 'gel-like-tip' knots and the standard Blonde Badger.
I won't ascertain exact prices as I have never ordered a brush from him, so I will defer that to the other gentlemen who have.

This is crazy talk. I have two finests that bunch up and get crunchy when dry and have had several blondes; never have done that. Both finests I have received are gel tips though. One from early 2014 one from late.

That is exactly what i said... My blonde stays soft when dry and doesn't clump up.

The poster i replied to was stating the opposite, saying his blonde got crunchy when dry and his finest stayed soft.

Lee's price is whatever he quotes you. Not trying to be evasive but he prefers to handle this directly with the customer. I have other brushes (e.g., Simpson and others) and his prices are reasonable and fair for what you get.

FWIW, my Blonde also gets clumpy/crunchy when dry.

On another topic, I'm actually calling my brush a Dirty Blonde. It had uniform white tips when I first purchased it, but got the appearance of a stain after it's inaugural lather back in late december. I happened to be using Haslinger Schafmilch that day which contains lanolin - apparently a potential brush stainer. The same issue, although more severe, was reported by @Tester28 in the Wiborg thread. I washed it like crazy as soon as i saw the discoloration but it did not get better (or worse). Oh well, not a huge deal, it's a fantastic performer.

Anyone else have patches of brown mixed into otherwise white tips in a Blonde knot?

I have two blondes that both have some darker patches. At first I was concerned, but they perform beautifully, and I haven't had the time to give it much thought.. They are the only brushes with these patches.
Anyone know what it is?

When I reported this with pics to back up, a guy actually slathered lanolin on his brushes and let it lie for a day and there was no staining. So I discounted the lanolin theory. But this same guy brought up another plausible theory….apparently the dark part of the 2-band is dyed to colour it consistently and some of this dye washes off in early uses and could stain the tips….I went along with that explanation. What irked me was not the staining per se (because it has no bearing whatsoever on performance…silky smooth tips and a 'just right' backbone)….but the fact that it was a brush called High Mountain WHITE….and yet it had brown stains. No big deal…I have used my Wiborg a half dozen times since and I think the stains have lessened in intensity.

My discoloration happened almost immediately after my first or second lather, lending some support to the theory that the discoloration is due to dye.

My discoloration happened almost immediately after my first or second lather, lending some support to the theory that the discoloration is due to dye.
Same here. The discoloration appeared after the first lather. I've heard of bleached tips but not of darkening the middle band. Wish there was some way to verify this.

Style 1 size 3 incoming! Really looking forward to trying this one out, although I was hoping to get an L7 or chief handle.

Top Bottom