What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Just remember this isn't the only shaving forum...but it is the best. I have had his informantion for quite some time. It took me awhile to take the plunge to spend "well over a Benjamin" on a brush. But in the end I'm glad I did. I agree, persistence is needed and luck is always welcomed. An alternative for someone who insists on an M&F should be a used one until the arrangements are made with him. Heck, a Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian with a Jade handle was almost purchased before I got that email. Have a plan b instead of drinking the hate-o-rade. Just my $.02

I don't disagree with a word of it.

I'm not defending Lee's ways...he is who he is. And I understand the frustration many have with their lack of communication with him. And it sucks. Guess I just deal with things differently. I won't "beg" anyone to take my hard earned money. :001_smile

Ill spend it elsewhere. And Chief...I still want some of your brushes!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I'm not defending Lee's ways...he is who he is. And I understand the frustration many have with their lack of communication with him. And it sucks. Guess I just deal with things differently. I won't "beg" anyone to take my hard earned money.

I'm the same way. It was lucky for me that I was lucky at the start because it wouldn't have taken long for me to be done with Lee otherwise.

Lee's a friend. And I've given his side -- much the same as you -- more times than I can remember. But I see the other side too, and sometimes it grieves me a little. For two reasons. One is that IMO many members here have deserved a higher quality of consideration from Lee than they received. Two is that I firmly believe Lee is a much more thoughtful and considerate person than his MO has left many to assume is the case. The problem isn't with what Lee thinks and feels. It's with whether and how he acts on it. At least that's my theory.

I also agree that Lee is what he is. But that doesn't mean he might not benefit from having his butt kicked a little on deserving occasions. What are friends for after-all?

Last edited:
Haha. I hear ya. But the bottom line with Lee is this...he makes some incredible shaving brushes. And in my opinion...and I reiterate..in my opinion, THE best.

Haha. I hear ya. But the bottom line with Lee is this...he makes some incredible shaving brushes. And in my opinion...and I reiterate..in my opinion, THE best.

I ask this not in a pejorative manner, but why do you think they're the best, and what other brushes have you tried in the $150-300 range? I'm genuinely curious... I hear people say this a lot about M&F's, but often when I look back at their tenure, past posts, etc - it doesn't appear as though they have much of a well to pull from. What congeals your opinion around M&F being superior to Shavemac, Simpson, Wiborg, Thater, etc?

I ask this not in a pejorative manner, but why do you think they're the best, and what other brushes have you tried in the $150-300 range? I'm genuinely curious... I hear people say this a lot about M&F's, but often when I look back at their tenure, past posts, etc - it doesn't appear as though they have much of a well to pull from. What congeals your opinion around M&F being superior to Shavemac, Simpson, Wiborg, Thater, etc?

I can chime in here a bit and offer my insight:
I think part of the allure of M&F is definitely it's "unobtainable" status, to be sure. I could compare each of the brands you mentioned. For instance, I think that M&F has more consistent quality controls than Simpsons. When Simpsons brushes are good, they're really good, but I've heard enough shedder stories to make me a little leery of buying one. They are also significantly more expensive. Thäter probably offers the best knots in the industry if you like soft knots, (like me) however, the two styles of handle they offer in two band are, shall we say, a bit dull. Wiborg is somewhat of a newcomer, and they look like they're going to shake up the game a little. They're very close to breaking into the "premium" category, and maybe all they need is some consistently positive feedback. Finally, the brand you mentioned that I think probably matches M&F punch-for-punch is Shavemac. Bernd is a craftsman, he offers premium, consistently good, hand-tied artisanal knots, beautiful handles, and as much customization as anyone could want, at prices that are quite fair.

With Lee, you kinda get whatever he has laying around, and I think that's part of the charm of getting a M&F brush. This may be difficult to believe, but we shaving geeks tend to overthink things a bit. When you go to Bernd and say "I want a low-loft two-band finest bulb set into a marbled ice blue beehive," you're going to get a magnificent low-loft two-band finest bulb set into a marbled ice blue beehive. When you finally get in touch with Lee and ask him for a low-loft two-band finest bulb set into a marbled ice blue beehive, you're likely to end up with a high-loft three-band blonde fan set into a leg that he sawed off of an old sofa. And it'll be absolutely perfect. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, to be honest, the only brand I'd consider on par with M&F for two bands is Shavemac. The difference is that Shavemac makes the brush you order, for better or worse. Lee says, "No that won't be a good brush, here's what I'll do for you:"

Ya i never found out what hair my mf is but i know its gel tip and its amazing. I want to try the others now

Last edited:
I can chime in here a bit and offer my insight:
I think part of the allure of M&F is definitely it's "unobtainable" status, to be sure. I could compare each of the brands you mentioned. For instance, I think that M&F has more consistent quality controls than Simpsons. When Simpsons brushes are good, they're really good, but I've heard enough shedder stories to make me a little leery of buying one. They are also significantly more expensive. Thäter probably offers the best knots in the industry if you like soft knots, (like me) however, the two styles of handle they offer in two band are, shall we say, a bit dull. Wiborg is somewhat of a newcomer, and they look like they're going to shake up the game a little. They're very close to breaking into the "premium" category, and maybe all they need is some consistently positive feedback. Finally, the brand you mentioned that I think probably matches M&F punch-for-punch is Shavemac. Bernd is a craftsman, he offers premium, consistently good, hand-tied artisanal knots, beautiful handles, and as much customization as anyone could want, at prices that are quite fair.

+1 I am a very big brush-geek, but I don't overthink things with my brushes! :biggrin1:

Well I have tried a big portion of the two bands available on the market today and M&F works best for me. I still have a few I haven't tried yet:

New Shavemac 2-band
Plisson
Wiborg
Vie Long

But in comparison to Shavemac D01, Semogue Finest, Simpsons SiLVERTiP and Manchurian, Vintage Blades, Thater, and TGN, I like M&F the best.

The two things I like about them most are of course performance and aesthetics. Lee has kind of a retro visual style that hits a home run for me and the performance works extremely well for me depending on density.

The Simpsons Manchurian is a close second performance wise. I love the hair they use, but I feel the loft is usually too high, and they are outside of what I like to spend money wise on a single brush in an acrylic handle.

This may be difficult to believe, but we shaving geeks tend to overthink things a bit.

Really?

:lol:

When you go to Bernd and say "I want a low-loft two-band finest bulb set into a marbled ice blue beehive," you're going to get a magnificent low-loft two-band finest bulb set into a marbled ice blue beehive. When you finally get in touch with Lee and ask him for a low-loft two-band finest bulb set into a marbled ice blue beehive, you're likely to end up with a high-loft three-band blonde fan set into a leg that he sawed off of an old sofa. And it'll be absolutely perfect. :lol:

Exquisite piece, sir!:laugh:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
+1 I am a very big brush-geek, but I don't overthink things with my brushes! :biggrin1:

I used to, but then I discovered that paying attention to which brushes I pull down from the shelf to use trumps analysis. It's kinda like gravity, which doesn't require a theory to work for most practical purposes.

I personally don't think M&F brushes are the best, per se. My Top 3 current shaving brush manufacturers are, in no particular order, Plisson, M&F and Simpson. Shavemac is not even close to being up there for me. In fact, if we're talking about 2-band hair, there are some premade Chinese knots that I've enjoyed considerably more then Shavemac's D01 2-Band hair, namely the Artesania Romera knots. The D01 3-Band hair, on the other hand, I find to be quite good.

Anyway, what I do think M&F offers is one of the best bangs for your buck. By definition, they're not exactly customized brushes, or at least not the way Shavemac does it, but they are very good value.

Also, since you can buy most of Plisson and Simpson's range for under $300, I don't see why they shouldn't be a part of the discussion. And the whole Simpson's shedding issues has been hugely inflated over the years IMO... Everyone has heard of a friend of a friend who had shedding issues with Simpson's brushes, but I rarely see someone actually complaining of their own brush. I've had over twenty Simpson's brushes over the years (currently a dozen), and I've yet to get one shedder. Their 2-band brushes, Silvertip and Manchurian, appear to be particularly well-made.

As for Plisson... Well, you really have to try one to know what they're all about. Granted, their HMW hair isn't what it used to be in the 80's, but it's just a very special brush with a very skillfully made knot that simply works wonderfully well. In essence, the epitome of luxury and quality. It really doesn't get any better then that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally read through to the end of this thread. is there a prize like a brush? I am currently sitting in a cave with bad awaiting 3 brushes. now have over 30 in 6 months of de shaving. the lead people on these forums seem to be like favored uncles to me. I get to try amazing brushes from their recommendations. surprisingly, my wife understands. go figure. thank you to all who have chimed in here.

I finally read through to the end of this thread. is there a prize like a brush? I am currently sitting in a cave with bad awaiting 3 brushes. now have over 30 in 6 months of de shaving. the lead people on these forums seem to be like favored uncles to me. I get to try amazing brushes from their recommendations. surprisingly, my wife understands. go figure. thank you to all who have chimed in here.

:thumbup:

Pics of my new brush from Lee with an additional knot
$p1020812.jpg$p1020813.jpg

Actual Blond badger is for me one of the top hair you can find on the market for a reasonable price and Lee is always make good job with his brushes.

I have a couple of 2 bands hairs from several manufacturers, can't say which one is better than other one but can say which one is cheaper and M&F is one of the cheapest, I really like Simpson 2 bands, some manchurian batch are quite good too, Thater 2 bands bulb is a cloud but with less backbone, rooney heritage is Stunning but hard to get, shavemac D01 2 bands is too scritchy for me (have to try their new one btw).
Artesania Romera use a damn fine good finest too, for me it's one of the best you can get from an artisan today and for a really low price regarding the quality.

I was curious if I was able to get a vintage Rooney handle (boar), would it be something he might entertain reknotting with badger and throwing the Rooney lettering on? I also saw on the interwebs that there was one brush he did with a complete clear handle and a boar hair knot. It was most definitely groovy!

Top Bottom