What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

How does the density of the regular stubby 3 compare to an equal width XL knot? Is it somewhere between the Emillion type density and XL?

This is Rooney Stubby:

proxy.php

It has a medium-high density. The biggest in the Stubby series is the Stubby 3, which has a 26mm knot with medium-high density. The Emillion 2 has a medium-high density 24mm knot, so that would put it on par with the Stubby 2. The Emillion 2 and Stubby 2 are more or less the same knots with different handles. The XL series is the most densely packed of the Rooney/M&F line, depending on which grade of hair you go with from Lee.

You can't compare handles sizes to knots. Some of the XL's or Emillion's have Blonde, some have Heritage, some have Finest, some have 3 band.

Yes, there is was.

I just posted about it in the Classic Shaving thread this morning actually.

Here is my Chubby 2, I guess it's an SC2

But isn't that a picture of a Stubby or Stubby XL (can't tell dimensions from the picture)? I mean did Rooney ever call them Chubbys?

Last edited by a moderator:
M&F brushes. Unbelievable!

I cannot express how happy I am with my brushes and already plan to sell most of what I have to fund more. Two band hair is undoubtedly the best for my tastes.

I was thinking of a 3XL but I wanted to get a slightly longer loft for head shaves - improved flow. The 2XL is ideal for face shaves and may end up being great for head shaves but I need a lot of lather. It's crazy how small a 28mm knot feels set at this low of a loft and density. Love it so much!

What are the typical dimensions for the 3XL brushes? Would adding 2mm ruin that beautiful dense feeling? I can't imagine it would impact it much as I see people have several 2xls with a 52 vs 50mm loft. Also does the flow through evolve with more break in time? I'm sure it's been answered already but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read through the thread.

Thanks guys!

Glad you finally found something that you like and feel comfortable with. I don't believe you will have a problem with flow through in an M&F brush. The flow through on brushes does not typically change with "break-in" anyway. I do believe in a very slight softening of the tips due to usage, but I think that's about all you can expect with "break-in."

The dimensions on my 3XL are as follows:

Knot - 30.5
Loft - 54
Handle - 50

I have a brush in the works with Lee with a 3XL type knot. The one I have on order is going to be 30x52 and will be slightly denser than your typical 3XL. I expect it sometime in early January, but I will be on vacation, so I may not see it until mid-month. Of course I will post pictures and some brief thoughts in this thread as soon as I can.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
But isn't that a picture of a Stubby or Stubby XL (can't tell dimensions from the picture)? I mean did Rooney ever call them Chubbys?

I don't know what Rooney called them, but it's neither a standard Stubby or XL. The handle's width in relation to its height is greater than that of either a Stubby or XL.

I have no clue what they were called, but most I see(which is rare) are faux bone that have a visible grain to them. I have an M&F version, and it is much wider in girth than an XL line or current Stubby handle. Mine is 2 band and falls between the size of a Simpson CH2 and CH3. A Stubby 2.5!

I don't know what Rooney called them, but it's neither a standard Stubby or XL. The handle's width in relation to its height is greater than that of either a Stubby or XL.

I see. Yes it does appear to be a bit "fatter". Were the handle dimensions the same over the course of all the years they made Stubbies?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I think that's exactly what it is. Vintage Blades used to sell them and that is how they were listed there. I have a 1/2 that I bought from them which is identical in shape.

+1

Just to avoid confusion, this is with reference to a different handle that the "Chubby" style that has also been under discussion above.

Bryan - I'm going to have to respectfully ask that you take down those pictures of the butterscotch M&F brush. I have a bad heart, the pics are killing me and I'm too weak to look away.

I just received these two beauties in the mail yesterday, but I have not used them yet. I started calling the bigger brush the "Emillion 3XL" because I think it looks like a mashup between those two brushes. The big guy is 32x53mm in Heritage hair and the Victorian has a 75mm handle!!! I am a face latherer but for some reason I love brushes with large handles. I took pictures of them both next to my 2XL for scale (sorry no banana).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thank you very much gentleman! I was waiting to respond before I had a chance to try them both. I've used them both (only once each) and I am very happy with them so far! Happy New Year guys!

Top Bottom