What's new

Older "newbie" and shaving Nirvana

At 60 calling myself a newbie seems a bit odd. My Dad taught me to wet shave with a DE many years ago. A stint in college and many years of a full beard got me far away from my start and when I finally shaved it off I got started on the newer cartridge razors. Lately I have been cleaning out my Dad's house as he is now the resident of a home and here's what I found: A lifetime supply of DE blades, 5 Schick DE razors (the ones with the longer black handle), three of which were in their original packages, a Gillette Super Speed Adjustable, a Gillette Super Speed Red Tip, and a full tube (8 pack) of Hess Professional Mug Soap.
I have been thrust back into wet shaving Nirvana. The Red Tip is an amazing razor. I'd give big bucks if the handle was an inch longer, but hey, it shaves amazingly well. I picked up a bottle of Master's Bay Rum to top things off. I have been getting great shaves and look forward to the experience every morning.

Herb

Congratulations Herb! That sure sounds like a treasure trove. What sort of DE blades were found?

Welcome to the forums! :thumbup1:

Schick DE Plus Chromium, a bunch of a grocery store brand (Schnunks here in St. Louis) which are Platinum Chrome DE (I have no idea who actually made them), and a bunch of older DE blades: Beau Brummel and Don Juan. The Beau Brummel blades are a bit thicker than usual and are hollow ground (surgical steel). The Don Juan are more of a typical thickness (chrome steel). I have no idea how old or what the history is on these older ones.

Nice to have you on the B&B. Sounds like you are set up for great shaves for years to come. I seem to remember talk of Hess soap years ago at the barbershop, but I haven't used it myself. It is interesting how people who try or retry DE shaving find it so enjoyable. I know I do.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Herb:
Welcome to the B & B :shaving:
Once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum :biggrin1:

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
You're telling my story, Herb! As a 72 year old "newbie" returning to wet shaving it's like Deja Vu all over again. I started shaving with a Gillette TTO/Tech razor in the 1950s, and recently picked up the Gillette 3pc Tech razor I had in basic training back in 1961. This was an economy move in protest to the increasing cost of Mach 3 cartridges. I must admit that my expenditures for new wet shaving supplies has eliminated the expected savings!

Welcome to B&B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom