What's new

Airmail Restriction for Japan to US Packages

This news has been spreading throughout Japan and sellers are scrambling to ship packages before the deadline. If you are in the process of buying a strop or a whetstone or anything that will weigh over 16 ounces, you better buy now.

Source
Attention to US customers: Due to the recent threat of terrorists against United States and thereby the reinforcement of aero safety by the US government, Japan Post has accounted that it would stop shipping packages over 453g(16oz) to United States including US territories such as Guam and Saipan effective November 17th. This includes EMS, Airmail, and SAL packages and it will affect estimate of over 200,000 shipments a month. According to the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, this treatment intend to limit the number of packages with unknown senders and unclear item contents that are shipped to United States and this will last at least 1 month.

The Teachat thread may be of interest.

It seems it may not apply if you have some sort of registration whith the Japan post office. Although many people/companies are applying there might be a delay between the 5 weeks processing and the deadline tomorrow.

Also it may not apply to very large companies and sea shipping may be ok.

Last edited:
Does that mean the price of Feather blades will go even higher?

I wouldn't be surprised.

Details are scant but I've heard that certain large companies like Toyota or Panasonic will be fine but smaller ones will need to send in an application to be able ship heavier packages. They will also need to pay a fee for the right to buy postage to ship their items.

The Teachat thread may be of interest.

It seems it may not apply if you have some sort of registration whith the Japan post office. Although many people/companies are applying there might be a delay between the 5 weeks processing and the deadline tomorrow.

Also it may not apply to very large companies and sea shipping may be ok.

I didn't see your posts. Good info.

The weight restriction has been lifted but there will be a delay for all shipments from Japan. US Customs will now take about 3 extra days to inspect packages more thoroughly, even for Express Mail packages. I'm not sure but this might be the case for all imported items - not just items from Japan. You can get all your Japanese goodies again but they'll just take a little longer. :001_cool:

Top Bottom