What's new

1930s open-comb Gillettes - how aggressive?

Hi,

this is my first post. I'm thinking about changing from dry to wet shaving, and while I see a lot's been written here and elsewhere, I'm sure I'll still have the occasional question left :001_smile - looking forward to learn from you in this great community!

So:

I understand a good start is to get a Tech because they won't be so aggressive in my clumsy beginner's hands. I really like the simple design of the head, without the butterfly, but I also like the 1930s when there weren't any Techs yet, and I wouldn't mind an open comb.

Do those compare in lack of aggressiveness? What models (read: ebay search words) should I look for? Or are they too much of a rich collector's item anyway?

Welcome to B&B!!

If you decide to go with a Open Comb instead of a Tech, why not a modern OC? Something like a Merkur 11C, 12C, 15C or even a Muhle R41. All great shavers and have the same head design. Fairly mild also for an Open Comb. They are easily available and reasonably priced.

But in all honesty, if you've never used a DE before, start off with the Tech. :001_smile

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hi,

this is my first post. I'm thinking about changing from dry to wet shaving, and while I see a lot's been written here and elsewhere, I'm sure I'll still have the occasional question left :001_smile - looking forward to learn from you in this great community!

So:

I understand a good start is to get a Tech because they won't be so aggressive in my clumsy beginner's hands. I really like the simple design of the head, without the butterfly, but I also like the 1930s when there weren't any Techs yet, and I wouldn't mind an open comb.

Do those compare in lack of aggressiveness? What models (read: ebay search words) should I look for? Or are they too much of a rich collector's item anyway?

I use both. They are very mild shavers. You can pick up a user grade tech maybe a little cheaper. IMO a slight edge to the new. Probably because I like the looks of it. You can't go wrong with either one.

Scott.

Last edited:
While the conventional wisdom for starting with a Tech or similar razor is sound, it's not entirely necessary to avoid more agressive razors as long as you understand what you're dealing with and respect the razor you are using -- I started with a Gem single edge Open Comb Micromatic (commonly viewed as a very aggressive razor).

No matter what you get, take it slow and easy and let the razor teach you how to do it properly.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
While the conventional wisdom for starting with a Tech or similar razor is sound, it's not entirely necessary to avoid more agressive razors as long as you understand what you're dealing with and respect the razor you are using -- I started with a Gem single edge Open Comb Micromatic (commonly viewed as a very aggressive razor).

No matter what you get, take it slow and easy and let the razor teach you how to do it properly.

Great point. Here is my offer for a modest fee. (Your promise to stay involved in this community and not run.) If you pm me your shipping info I wil pif you a tech and a few blades. Let me know

Scott

I wouldn't say that a NEW is an aggressive razor. The blade exposure and angle on mine is not all that far from my early '60s Tech.

You can pick up a NEW on the BST forum for a reasonable price. They don't tend to show up on Ebay as often as the Old type, which is a much milder razor but also more efficient IMO.

I wouldn't say that a NEW is an aggressive razor. The blade exposure and angle on mine is not all that far from my early '60s Tech.

You can pick up a NEW on the BST forum for a reasonable price.

Absolutely, however with a NEW I can get a decent shave in 2 passes, with a Tech not. So if I compare like that the NEW is more aggressive. If you have your basic technique down there is nothing to worry. On the contrary: a NEW is a great shaver :thumbup1:

I have two Techs, one the fat handle, triangular hole variety, which is smooth as smooth can be and a 1961 solid handle that I cannot get a good shave with no matter what.

Techs can vary. My fat handle version is less aggressive than my open comb Gillettes (it takes three passes, versus two on the open combs).

The NEWS of the 1930s are somewhat more aggressive, but they are not cruel or anything.

I have to say that I find the old style from the 1920s to be slightly less aggressive.

Both are fun and effective.

Just remember, NO PRESSURE!!!!!

I have two Techs, one the fat handle, triangular hole variety, which is smooth as smooth can be and a 1961 solid handle that I cannot get a good shave with no matter what.

I have a c.1961 aluminium handle Tech and I find that the shave, although acceptable, is nothing outstanding. I was going to try an older Tech but I have so many open combs that I haven't tried yet that it's not high on my list of priorities.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Here is my offer for a modest fee. (Your promise to stay involved in this community and not run.) If you pm me your shipping info I wil pif you a tech and a few blades. Let me know

Scott

Patricks, if you are there I will give you until tommorow at 20:00 est. to respond or I am recinding my PIF. I will look for a new newbie.

Scott

I'm so sorry I couldn't reply yet.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful answers, and your generous offer, Scott! I bought a Tech the other day, so I hope you'll be able to brighten another newbie's day.

I'm afraid it'll take some time until I can report back - I had a little accident with my wrist three weeks ago, and while it's not my "shaving hand", I'd better wait until it works again more or less.

Best for today,
Patricks

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I'm so sorry I couldn't reply yet.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful answers, and your generous offer, Scott! I bought a Tech the other day, so I hope you'll be able to brighten another newbie's day.

I'm afraid it'll take some time until I can report back - I had a little accident with my wrist three weeks ago, and while it's not my "shaving hand", I'd better wait until it works again more or less.

Best for today,
Patricks

Cool, I was hoping we hadn't lost you. I will repif the pif.:lol: Thanks for following up with me.

Scott

I just switched from my weishi (as mild as it gets) to an undated gillete old style open comb and WOW what a shave! Less irritation than the Weishi! It was also easier to keep blade angle than the weishi. (and I thought the weishi gave a nice shave)

I did somehow cut my earlobe, which has me very confused, as the cut is not even where I got lather. Maybe from the wing of the blade that is not sharpened?

Phil

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just switched from my weishi (as mild as it gets) to an undated gillete old style open comb and WOW what a shave! Less irritation than the Weishi! It was also easier to keep blade angle than the weishi. (and I thought the weishi gave a nice shave)

I did somehow cut my earlobe, which has me very confused, as the cut is not even where I got lather. Maybe from the wing of the blade that is not sharpened?

Phil

Phil,

That is possible. I cut my finger with that part of the blade. I dropped my handle changing the blade on my new, I carefully grabbed that part of the blade and it bit me.:a46:

Scott

Top Bottom