What's new

A very bloody shave

Today I had what definitely qualifies as my worst shave to date.

I was out of the shower, pre shave cream applied, razor stropped and the phone rang. I really should have ignored it but SWMBO is on a day trip to Wellington so there was a chance it could be She.

Sadly it wasn't. It was a former colleague. I took medical retirement in June. The grounds were quite legitimate but I nudged things along. The place where I was working was a nightmare. Morale was so low you needed a depth finder to prove it existed. Management had no regard for the terms and conditions of the staff contract. As a Union Representative I was banging my head against a brick wall daily. Since leaving I have been a lot happier; although I know things have got worse it is no longer any of my concern. After a 5 minute conversation my mind was back to where it was before June.

I returned to my shave. I just wasn't in the right mind and should have put it off. Several weepers and one very deep nick. Even worse, I came at my neck at the wrong angle and received a cut which demonstrates why these blades are called "cut throats". Liberal use of a styptic pencil and application of Proraso Razor Cut Gel stemmed the flow of blood eventually. I'm going to have to avoid shaving for a few days.

The moral of the story?

You can shave with a cartridge with half your mind elsewhere but with a straight you need to be focused. You might think that I'd know this by now!

In my limited experience, I have learned that shaving with a straight razor requires...

- A sharp blade, welll-stropped.
- 100% concentration.
- Good nerves.
- A good frame of mind. If you're not happy or excited about it, don't do it. You'll get distracted and cut yourself.

Occasionally we get a stark reminder of why almost every shaving man on the planet ran away from straight razors as soon as another option presented itself.

Today I had what definitely qualifies as my worst shave to date.

I was out of the shower, pre shave cream applied, razor stropped and the phone rang. I really should have ignored it but SWMBO is on a day trip to Wellington so there was a chance it could be She.

Sadly it wasn't. It was a former colleague. I took medical retirement in June. The grounds were quite legitimate but I nudged things along. The place where I was working was a nightmare. Morale was so low you needed a depth finder to prove it existed. Management had no regard for the terms and conditions of the staff contract. As a Union Representative I was banging my head against a brick wall daily. Since leaving I have been a lot happier; although I know things have got worse it is no longer any of my concern. After a 5 minute conversation my mind was back to where it was before June.

I returned to my shave. I just wasn't in the right mind and should have put it off. Several weepers and one very deep nick. Even worse, I came at my neck at the wrong angle and received a cut which demonstrates why these blades are called "cut throats". Liberal use of a styptic pencil and application of Proraso Razor Cut Gel stemmed the flow of blood eventually. I'm going to have to avoid shaving for a few days.

The moral of the story?

You can shave with a cartridge with half your mind elsewhere but with a straight you need to be focused. You might think that I'd know this by now!

Great story and sorry for the less-than-perfect shave. But, this is exactly why when I am in my shave den, nothing will interrupt it (not even wife). That's my "me" time...everything else can (and will) wait.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually lock myself in the bathroom while shaving to minimise distractions!

i think as a father of 2 very young kids, I realized I was never going to find myself without the background noise of screams, crying, laughter, door knocking, etc. so it becomes part of my focus experience. I do turn the fan on to create a constant noise, but the outside noise has ceased to be a distraction. I'll tell you the first couple of times, they were very distracting, but too quiet and I get nervous...

Occasionally we get a stark reminder of why almost every shaving man on the planet ran away from straight razors as soon as another option presented itself.
You sure hit the nail there :lol:
I usually lock myself in the bathroom while shaving to minimise distractions!

That is no option for me with two little trolls running around, but I do lock my mind on the shave.

That is no option for me with two little trolls running around, but I do lock my mind on the shave.

I have the same problem, my oldest loves to "shave" togehter with me, and yesterday he ran crying down to mum when I told him he couldn't shave with me because I need peace and consentration when learning how to use a straight.
I felt so sorry for him afterwards so today I went DE so he could join.:blush:

Top Bottom