What's new

how to tell different grinds

U

Utopian

Ignore the Henckel's scale and use the chart below it--the one that ranges from bellied hollow to section. That one should be self explanatory if you compare the end of your razor to that chart.

I've been puzzled by this as well. The simpler scale is easier, but I still have trouble on the more hollow end of the scale with real blades.

I'm also curious as to what 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 hollow refers to. It isn't clear to me from the picture what 1/2 hollow is half of.

It is a little bit subjective. When I describe a blade I usually only work in quarters so it's either a wedge, 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, 3/4 hollow or full hollow. They you get things like framebacks (real and faux).

So what's the difference between a belled hollow and extra hollow?

If you read the section following that part it talks about single and double grinds..

The full hollow is a single grind where the grinding is done as a single level the width of the blade

The bellied hollow is done as a double grind and the grinding is done as two levels the main part is the top (width wise) 3/4 of the blade and the second grinding is done on the lower 1/4 of the blade it is fairly easy to see this on large kitchen knifes I believe its called Double hollow on those.

As for full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 hollow if you look at the toe end of the blade head on you will see the widest part is the spine, and it tapers down to where the two sides of the blade run parallel to each other. The distance from the top of the spine to where the two sides of the blade are parallel to each other will be 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of distance from the edge of the blade. If it is any more than 3/4 of the distance from the edge then it is full hollow or extra hollow.

I hope that made sense to everyone :tongue_sm Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Top Bottom