What's new

New to Straight Shaving? Post a video for help.....

Hi Folks,
If you're new to straight razor shaving and would like a little assistance, or some pointers, feel free to post videos of you shaving in this thread and myself and others can jump in.

Whether it be stropping, honing, shaving technique, post away and we'll jump in and help!

Hi Folks,
If you're new to straight razor shaving and would like a little assistance, or some pointers, feel free to post videos of you shaving in this thread and myself and others can jump in.

Whether it be stropping, honing, shaving technique, post away and we'll jump in and help!

Great Idea! :thumbup::thumbup:

This is exactly what they do on golf forums like golfwrx. People post vids of their golf swing and others offer constructive criticism and support.

Last edited:
I'll try to make a video of my stropping. I don't know how to get my camera in the right angle, but I'll try.

I've come a long way and regularly get a DFS, but i thought to help kick this thread off, i'd post my very first shave with a straight. I recorded it just in case there'd be any comedic bloodletting, lol

you'll get to see me struggle with all the angles and do most of my shaving without stretching my skin! I hope you get a chuckle or two - i do!
Right at 5 min you can see me give myself the one and only nick on my right jawline.

[YOUTUBE]GMcPkOy3vfY[/YOUTUBE]

thanks for posting!

your lather looks great!

Have you seen this:
How to Hold a Straight Razor?

I think it might sturdy your hand and razor. Remember use the shave motion with with your arm, not your wrist or fingers.

thanks for the input! i guess i never really gave much consideration to the way i held the razor - good tip! :thumbup:

and i'll certainly be mindful of the shaving motion - didn't know to use the arm not wrist - another good tip! :thumbup:

Thanks!

did you get much irritation?

even with a sharp blade like that, my face would be on fire if i didn't pull my skin taut.

Cool video.

Besides noticing a closer shave you will notice more comfort when stretching your skin taut. Your skin will lay flatter and you'll be able to pull the skin around the jaw line to a position where it is flat and you'll catch those stubborn whiskers that tend to hind under there.

Post another video:001_smile

did you get much irritation?

even with a sharp blade like that, my face would be on fire if i didn't pull my skin taut.

my face can take quite a beating without being irritated, it only gets irritated if i do a three pass shave with certain blades.

Cool video.

Besides noticing a closer shave you will notice more comfort when stretching your skin taut. Your skin will lay flatter and you'll be able to pull the skin around the jaw line to a position where it is flat and you'll catch those stubborn whiskers that tend to hind under there.

Post another video:001_smile

that was my first shave with a straight, and i was about a month ago - I do pull my skin taught now and have a much easier time shaving, lol ...

maybe i'll record again next weekend for a good month update.

WOW!! Shaving this morning while holding the razor correctly made SUCH a difference. Just that one little change made it way easier and more comfortable – Amazing! I don’t even know how I managed before – it just seems so much more natural holding correctly. In addition to an updated shaving video I plan on recording me stropping and honing as well. (using a different razor than what’s in the video obviously, lol)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
WOW!! Shaving this morning while holding the razor correctly made SUCH a difference. Just that one little change made it way easier and more comfortable – Amazing! I don’t even know how I managed before – it just seems so much more natural holding correctly. In addition to an updated shaving video I plan on recording me stropping and honing as well. (using a different razor than what’s in the video obviously, lol)

Excellent!! :thumbup1:

:thumbup:

Awesome cant wait to see it.

had to be at work by 4 this morning :tongue_sm, to monitor some pumps houses and water tower levels (on the computer) due to a repair being made - so i decided since i had the time i'd record some honing and stropping.

-during the honing i have both hands on the blade, but just for stabilization - i'm not pushing down at all! if i only use one hand, i tilt the razor every time.

-I know you're supposed to flip the razor on the spine, but that feels very awkward and unnatural - i (so far) have had no problem just lifting the razor a couple inches to flip.

honing on a barbers hone
honing begins at the 40 second mark
[YOUTUBE]r_AhPv27-J4[/YOUTUBE]

-I know you're supposed to flip the razor on the spine, but that feels very awkward and unnatural - i (so far) have had no problem just lifting the razor a couple inches to flip.

Oh, wow. Please please please take some time to learn how to slowly flip the razor on its spine.
You can easily ruin your razor's edge and put a huge nick in your strop flipping the razor edge-side-down.

Here's a tip: when flipping the razor, keep the spine stationary and focus on not moving your wrist at all - just slowly turn the razor shank using your thumb and forefinger.
Then, as the edge is just about to hit the leather, begin the stropping motion in the opposite direction. This will greatly help minimize nicks.

I know stropping is awkward and tough to learn, but it is very important for blade maintenance.

Last edited:
Oh, wow. Please please please take some time to learn how to slowly flip the razor on its spine.
You can easily ruin your razor's edge and put a huge nick in your strop flipping the razor edge-side-down.

Here's a tip: when flipping the razor, keep the spine stationary and focus on not moving your wrist at all - just slowly turn the razor shank using your thumb and forefinger.
Then, as the edge is just about to hit the leather, begin the stropping motion in the opposite direction. This will greatly help minimize nicks.

I know stropping is awkward and tough to learn, but it is very important for blade maintenance.

I think you're coming along well but huntmol has a recommendation.

It is easy to ruin an edge of a razor you spent a lot of time on by a small wrong turn of the wrist.

Slow and steady my friend and you'll be off running.

Top Bottom