What's new

A idea I had for the razor that never gets dull. what do you think?.

Welcome to B&B!

Both of your picture links are the same.

It would probably be as you already pointed out, expensive. Here there was talk of making WC blades coated with diamond nanoparticles. I have no interest, my blade stock is enough to last probably until my child's retirement plus I got straights. I wouldn't even be interested in trying one. I imagine they'd probably develop a special razor (if they found a company to utilize the technology and felt they could risk it) to use the blade in first after they are finally able to convince us that a shave is really worth their asking price, it might trickle down to a DE blade eventually. I think it would take a lot of time for such a blade to gain market acceptance especially with DE blades made of stainless steel coated with PFTE going for as little as $0.08 each. I don't think that ultimately a manufacturer would want something consumable to last forever, how are they going to make money if you only buy their product once every 3 years? I'm not a business/sales man but I don't think the idea is viable even if we're talking only the blade coating here.

I doubt any of the current crop of blade makers would be interested in making an extra long lasting blade as it would effectively mean less sales. I know they could charge a premium price to off set that, but why bother when the market is already flooded with trusted brands.

More than likely a razor with a diamond edge would be too harsh on the face. Although you cannot see it, the microscopic edge of a razor has "give" to it - some more than others. A diamond blade would have absolutely none and, DAMN, what if you dropped it? Diamonds may be the hardest substance on earth but that doesn't mean they aren't breakable - especially at that level of thickness. I'd be pissed if I dropped my $100 GoldenEdge. I'd be horrified if I dropped my $500,000 diamond razor.

I've often wondered about what a ceramic razorblade might be like.

Being as I don't really know much at all of metallurgy OR ceramics though, it's mostly pretty vague wondering. :blush:

Top Bottom