What's new

Adjusting a Fat Boy

I had a question about how to properly adjust the Fat Boy razor. Must you open the silo doors before changing to another adjustment number, or can you change adjustment numbers on the fly without opening the silo? Just wanted to check before I started fooling with my new Fat Boy.
John

I've always adjusted mine with the doors closed in a blade in, I usually use setting 3 or 3.5... Seems to work for me.

Uh-oh! I think one of those "holy wars" is about to begin. There is at least one thread somewhere that discusses this.

As I recall, the printed instructions that originally shipped with the razors didn't specify one way or the other.

I think that other thread said you get more consistent adjustment if you at least crack the doors open a bit before adjusting.

Uh-oh! I think one of those "holy wars" is about to begin. There is at least one thread somewhere that discusses this.

As I recall, the printed instructions that originally shipped with the razors didn't specify one way or the other.

Oops, didn't mean to do that! :blink: The only reason I asked is that it seemed a little more difficult that it should have to adjust with the silo doors down. I'm soaking it in mineral oil right now, perhaps that will help...
Run for cover!:eek:

Always open the silo doors before adjusting. The adjustment, going up, raises the bars under the blades. You do not want to be forcing the razor.

There was a very good, actually a great post on this a while back. If my memory serves, a member actually measured with a micrometer to determine whether opening the doors made a difference. His conclusion: the only way to get the razor to work consistently is to open the doors, even when dialing down.

My view: if you dial up without opening the doors you are forcing the mechanisms in the razor. That's a very good way to damage it. If you dial down without opening, you will get inconsistent openings.

I read the thread about loosening the doors before changing the adjustment. I have a few adjustables. One, in particular, seemed to be lop-sided...one side shaved closer than the other. After I started loosening the doors, now, it seems a more even shaver. Not scientific, by any means, but made a difference on my lop-sided adjustable, so I now I do it with all of them.

YMMV,
Jim

I don't actually open the silo doors, just loosen the TTO knob abit, make the adjustment, tighten it up and away you go. YMMV of course.

I don't actually open the silo doors, just loosen the TTO knob abit, make the adjustment, tighten it up and away you go. YMMV of course.

:thumbup1:
Right. Sorry, I should have said open part way, or loosen. No need to completely open the doors.

Top Bottom