What's new

Introductory remarks

M

Merely

To all, greetings.

I have been interested in straight razors for a few years, for reason of an unsightly propensity to ingrown hairs that has plagued my neck from pubescence. I'm now in my late twenties. I heard that using a single cutting edge might assist. This sounded probable, for the usual reasons given. Additionally, I've always found multiple-bladed cartridges had too little space between the blades, so that my curling facial hairs would become caught, producing a sort of jagged brush which one risked one's fingers to clean! A straight razor, surely, would not have this problem.

The occasional internet search led me to this forum. Every so often, I would read the forums on honing. For I happened to possess a few Bengall straight razors. Not actually used by an ancestor, but picked up by one of them in an opportunity shop. How to bring them to a shaveable state was a problem that plagued me, for I cannot afford most of the expensive waterstones so often discussed. I very much intend to acquire a few, some day - perhaps some day soon - but just now it is not an option.

The only hones I have are a few - similarly inherited - oil hones that possess several chips on their edges. One feels coarser than the other, which is quite fine. Not hard to figure out the order in which to use them. But having gotten my everyday razor to a decent edge, I only use the second hone occasionally, and a strop.

A few weeks ago, I realised that I needed to learn how to hone in furtherance of certain craft interests. Oddly, rather than beginning my honing-dabblings on a tool, I found myself turning to those old razors instead. 'If I can bring a rusty, dull razor to the point of giving a fair shave, I can turn to my tools with the assurance of possessing the rudiments of honing.' It is odd what can move one to action. Having hovered in uncertainty for a few years, I finally acted for a reason that was minor compared to the possible improvement of a cosmetic misfortune and and indefinite irritation.

I began on the rustiest, most chipped razor. I knew that this razor would never be suitable for regular shaving, since missing a bit of its blade. So it seemed excellent for practice. I used some fine emery paper to remove the rust, and a lot of tea tree oil and water to disinfect. Then I embarked on the learning curve of honing that obviously still continues. I got it to a fair edge. Wafer-thinn-ish, though not passing the hanging hair test. And I improvised a hanging strop.

My first shave with it was rather full of nicks and irritation! The problem, however, was one of technique. The next day's shave was better. And the third a little better yet. By this point, I found that I was definitely getting less irritation than I had gotten with any multiple-bladed cartridge. Ever. Which is a remarkable thing, really. Quite astonishing.

Then I moved on to a decidedly worn and rusted, but more viable, Bengall. Better results still. My skin was getting terribly dry, though, so, having used ordinary soap until this point, I acquired some decent shaving soap (Geo F Trumper's violet shaving soap) and some good aftershave balm (that of the Gentlemen's Refinery). I purchased both on the recommendation of these forums. I am decidedly satisfied with both - they have given a lot of enjoyment.

Finally I moved on to restoring the third and best Bengall. This one had barely been used, though was lightly tarnished rusted. I have been using this one every day since. Again, it does not pass the hanging hair test, but it shaves comfortably and cleanly. My skin has never looked better - I actually feel that I may obtain entirely clear skin some imminent day, at this rate.

I have enjoyed the skills acquired in the process; their application provides a meditative and rather fun commencement to my day. I had never shaved every day before, owing to the cost of razors and the sheer unpleasantness of doing so - though would always do so before going out. Shaving so regularly now gives a novel sense of civility. I am certain that, except in the event of strange circumstance, I shall never cease to do so. For me personally, in terms of utility, the cutthroat seems to leave disposable razors for dead. Er. Clutching its throat!

So - it only remains to say that I am grateful for all that I have read on these forums until now. The posts of its members have been invaluable to me in the process of trying to understand things and form opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Merely:
You're always Welcome in the B & B :shaving:
Once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum :biggrin1:

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
Welcome to posting @ B&B!
And it sounds like that was quite an ambitious dive into the deep end.
well done!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

All that talk about Bengall and no pictures! :hand: Please post some pictures!

If you want to sure that you have a shave ready edge, the best option is to send your straights to a honemeister. It's not that expensive and you will end up with more chances of success on your side.

Here's a list: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Honemeister

Top Bottom