What's new

Questions...

I have been DE shaving for about 3 weeks now, and have a few questions.
My set up is;

HD w/Derby blade (switched from Merker yesterday)
Vulfix 377 silvertip
T&H Ultimate Comfort creme
Nivea sensitive balm followed by T&H a/s balm

Shower wash face etc., use conditioner on beard, rinse and leave wet.
Soak brush in hot water, whip up a lather and shave, wtg,xtg and final atg. No nicks, warm then cold rinse, apply the Nivea let it soak in then apply the T&H. Not bbs every time but good enough.The face and neck are red but this fades in about 10 to 15 minutes.

The questions,

When the beard starts to grow out my face itches,whats with that?

Since I have been using the DE, on the sides of my neck just behind the adams apple, just above the collar bone, I have a patch of skin that has what looks like small horizontal bumps, they are not ingrowns. When I stretch the skin a little bit you can feel them, they do not burn or itch. I did not have this when I was using the Mach III. I only shave 3 times a week. I am assuming it has to do with my technique but I don't know what. I don't stretch the skin in this area. I ran an empty razor over them and it almost feel like little speed bumps. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

My first question would be is your skin dry at all? I get the same kind of itch when I am not keeping my skin properly hydrated. The beard grows back and pushes the dry dead skin off making it flakey and itchy.

My face itches when I skip a day shaving, just from the beard growing out and irritating my face - so, shaving more often might actually be less irritating. Just a thought.

If your face and neck end up red, but it fades quickly, it's possible you're using too much pessure on the razor. I suppose you could be reacting to the shave cream - I've heard the T&H U.C. cream is somewhat heavy on the lavender.

also, doubling up on aftershave balms might be overkill. As a thought, youmight try making your first post-shave product something with antiseptic qualities, like an alum block or an alcohol-based aftershave splash, then follow with the moisturizing/scented balm of your choice. that's totally up to your own preference, though.

Chances are, one of your first passes in the neck area is going ATG. It is not uncommon to have more than one growth pattern in the neck area. You could have three different growth patterns, and a "swirl", on your neck. That's one scenario.

Some of the problems could have been caused because the Merkur blades were not right for you, and they were causing the irritation. Since you recently switched to Derby Extra's, and they are typically a more efficient blade for a lot of us, keep in mind that any change in our equipment will also necessitate a change in our technique.

I would bet that your problems will go away within a few days, as you adjust to the change. Patience is a virtue! :wink:

Tchau,
chop-chop

Since I changed to the Derby blade the irritation (speed bumps) is going away.

Never thought about skin being dry - bought some Anthonys moisturizer and it did the trick, the itch when it grows out is also going away.

I am working my way through the letterk blade sample pack and have the Gillettes and Feathers to get to yet. I am trying each set for at least two weeks before changing, to see which works best. The Merkurs are definetly out.

Thanks again!
Tom

Welcome brother!!
Bruce may have the solution. Map your beard, you may be amazed at what you find. There are some threads about using a cotton ball to map the beard that may help.
You didn't say how long between shaves.

John
I shave every other day at this time to allow my skin to get used to the single blade. Had been a Mach III shaver ever since they came out. But like DE better, just have to get through the learning curve and right blade.

Welcome brother!!
Bruce may have the solution. Map your beard, you may be amazed at what you find. There are some threads about using a cotton ball to map the beard that may help.
You didn't say how long between shaves.

Amen to that. My neck beard grows sideways and S-N, and I always figured I would just shave down. Much improvement in the neck area after I mapped out the terrain. Also, I can not stress enough that using a cold water rinse followed by my alum block, and then another cold water rinse is nothing short of a miracle.

Top Bottom