What's new

How do you clean / polish your DE Razor ?

I've had my Muhle R 89 DE Razor for about 5 weeks.

It's beautiful. In fact I refer to it as a shaving instrument, due to it's workmanship and high quality.

I find it one of the items that I have accrued over my long life...that I can just look at...for some time..... and appreciate.

Anyways, I want to keep it looking sharp, so I usually clean and polish it...each time, after I shave.

I use a little water and buff it up with a well worn, but thick cotton cloth.

Every time I change the blade...about every 3-4 days...I do the same thing with the total external, surface area of three components, that make up this razor.

My wife suggested I might use a chrome cleaner, or maybe Windex.

I dunno...any cleaner that I should avoid, to avoid marring the surface of the razor ?

What would you suggest ?

i love my blue merkur 38c barber pole and think as you do its a pleasurable tool to look at so i just wipe down after a shave with a towel and at blade replacement i use a cloth suitable for jewellery. works a beauty.

I am not particularly good with daily maintenance. So I apply some scrubbing bubbles once a month and call it a day.

Ditto for me as well - scrubbing bubbles and a scub with a toothbrush. After each shave just wipe down with a towel

Wipe dry with a towel after each shave.

Wipe a little more thoroughly at each blade change.

Use a toothbrush with soap as needed.

I'm wanting to polish the heads of my razors. Is there a certain product to use? A polish or wax?

If you absolutely must polish, you can use a fine polish like Flitz or Maas. However, all polishes are abrasive to some degree and can wear through the plating on many razors when polished many times. If you are trying to restore a razor that has been sitting in a dirty drawer for decades, using a polish to clean it up is warranted. However, avoid using a polish for regular maintenance. It really shouldn't be necessary if you are taking care of your razors. Once every couple years shouldn't be too bad for the razor--but don't do it too often.

If you absolutely must polish, you can use a fine polish like Flitz or Maas.

Yes, I have noted these mentioned in posts. Thank you for mentioning them. The head on the '70 Super Adjustable I just got seems to have a dull, hazy sort of appearance. Before I go to polishing it I wasn't sure if that is how it naturally looked or should I try to polish it to a shiny finish. Don't want to damage it trying to do a good thing.

When you gents say scrubbing bubbles, are you referring ri the aerosol bathroom foaming cleaner?
I have a heavy duty all purpose non aerosol scrubbing Bibles.

All I do is, an alcohol bath and wipe down after each shave. When I change blades, I use an old tooth brush and Dawn dish soap to give a good scrubbing. I have never polished it. I only use one razor and it still looks good after many years of use.

I rinse with water after each shave and wipe down with a towel. I remove the blade after each shave too, so even after 10 months the razor is spotless.

Rinse and wipe off each shave. I don't take it apart or remove the blade. When the blade dies the razor gets a short soak in Barbicide, I find it works better than scrubbing bubbles to remove the soap scum, and it is cheaper. A toothbrush to remove anything stubborn, then back to the display shelf the razor goes and another one is brought into the current rotation. (I keep 3-4 razor in use at a time)

Top Bottom