What's new

Wow, has my fav blade turned on me?

I`m really surprised...:001_huh:

I`ll give a bit of chronology...

I had great success right out of the box using the Super Speed, Adjustable Slim set to #2, and a Tech, all with Walmart, German made Wilkinson blades. I`d get one weeper at the most during a shave, but they were usually blood free.

It was though suggested to me that I try other blades to see if something may work even better. I tried Dorcos, fine, no nicks or weepers to any degree, but not so smooth. Can say the same about Sharks. I then got some Bluebirds and WOW, noticeably much smoother, would just glide across the face, and I decided after about a week that they are my blade. I stocked up with 100. But now all of the sudden I`m getting weepers right and left all around my face and neck. And the problem has persisted across three different blades, all from the same pack. I`ve over several days tried to analyze my technique but can`t see what I may have started doing differently. And, today was the last straw. My neck was so littered with weepers using my mildest razor, the Tech, that I`m forced to take a couple of day break for healing. The Bluebird is now on the sidelines until further notice... If anyone has any theories as to cause and effect, or related experiences to share, I`d be pleased to hear them. Thank you a lot. :001_smile

I had much the same experience with a different brand of blades.
There are some things to keep in mind...
1. blades, even blades within a single package, can be inconsistent
2. revisit the fundamentals of de shaving, are you really using no pressure?
3. sometimes corking the blade will help smooth a blade out

But I'd emphasize point #2. It is easy to fall into bad habits and using too much pressure is one of my worst!:blushing:

Hi Randall.

You know the "no pressure" principle is most easy for me to follow with my Fatboy, very nice heft to it. But Super Speeds, especially the black handle I`m using, are considerably lighter, as are Techs. Is it completely unadvisable with such razors to quote "help them along a bit?" I`ll give the most extreme example, my solid Aluminum Weishi DE SS lookalike, my first purchase. I don`t use it anymore, but it only wieghs about 22 grams, and if I didn`t give it a bit of a push little would have been cut I don`t think. But anyway, I do think I`m guilty of helping my lighter razors along some, but think I was also doing so back when I was having the success. Perhaps I`ve stepped it up some without realizing it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I had much the same experience with a different brand of blades.
There are some things to keep in mind...
1. blades, even blades within a single package, can be inconsistent
2. revisit the fundamentals of de shaving, are you really using no pressure?
3. sometimes corking the blade will help smooth a blade out

But I'd emphasize point #2. It is easy to fall into bad habits and using too much pressure is one of my worst!:blushing:

+1

Hi Randall.

You know the "no pressure" principle is most easy for me to follow with my Fatboy, very nice heft to it. But Super Speeds, especially the black handle I`m using, are considerably lighter, as are Techs. Is it completely unadvisable with such razors to quote "help them along a bit?" I`ll give the most extreme example, my solid Aluminum Weishi DE SS lookalike, my first purchase. I don`t use it anymore, but it only wieghs about 22 grams, and if I didn`t give it a bit of a push little would have been cut I don`t think. But anyway, I do think I`m guilty of helping my lighter razors along some, but think I was also doing so back when I was having the success. Perhaps I`ve stepped it up some without realizing it.

If you "help" the razor you can end up with nicks, weepers, irritation. You might want to consider a heavier razor instead.

I've been spoiled. The razor I am using is a Merkur 38c. Nice heavy head but I still have the urge to use pressure. I have to have it constantly in mind.

On a side note. I am using "Precision" blades (Made in Israel), I believe they are also known as "Canadian Personas". I enjoy using the blade as a whole but I have a real honey in the razor right now. This morning was my 6th shave on this blade and it gave me a really comfortable BBS shave. For me, this is unheard of !:blink:

I'd say that you've only been doing this a few months, it's not surprising you had some regression. We all get cocky around 3 months in, convinced we've 'figured it out' - and that's the day you shred yourself up.

Refocus on technique and prep, keep sampling blades and products, you're only halfway there. I had major breakthroughs at the 6 month and 1 year mark, each preceded by some pretty rough times.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. :001_smile

After a day and a half rest I went for a shower and shave. Used the Fatboy and a fresh Bluebird blade. Good shave and totally bloodless, all with constant attention to the no pressure rule. Seems I was pressing the issue, especially around the mouth and neck where I`ve never gotten BBS.

Top Bottom