What's new

Love Williams...There must be something wrong with me

I've been wetshaving for several months now, and things have been going great. I'm using a Merkur HD, Derby Extra blades, Vulfix badger brush...and Williams.

I watched the Mantic vids and lurked around this place for a while...and then I went in and almost immediately got gobs of lather from Williams. I mean, easily 5 or 6 passes worth.

I've also tried VDH and Proraso, and didn't have nearly the good results that I did with my Williams. They lather, and they're okay...but they're no Williams. I don't get it. With Williams I don't even need aftershave or anything...just rinse with cold water.

So what gives? Am I stuck in some sort of weird twilight zone episode or something? Or....maybe my face just likes "shower soap"...before this I had been shaving with Zest and a Bic Sensitive for years.

Cheers,
David

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I've been wetshaving for several months now, and things have been going great. I'm using a Merkur HD, Derby Extra blades, Vulfix badger brush...and Williams.

I watched the Mantic vids and lurked around this place for a while...and then I went in and almost immediately got gobs of lather from Williams. I mean, easily 5 or 6 passes worth.

I've also tried VDH and Proraso, and didn't have nearly the good results that I did with my Williams. They lather, and they're okay...but they're no Williams. I don't get it. With Williams I don't even need aftershave or anything...just rinse with cold water.

So what gives? Am I stuck in some sort of weird twilight zone episode or something? Or....maybe my face just likes "shower soap"...before this I had been shaving with Zest and a Bic Sensitive for years.

Cheers,
David
David:
Maybe its an episode from the 'X' Files :blink:

All said....I've had been using Williams 'religiously' since the 'Civivl War' but now I'm set on Chelsea's Unscented Shave Soap.. and I'm very happy :w00t:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=168473

Christopher :badger:

Gentlemen we have found the "chosen one"...

Just kidding, I like it too. My closest shaves come from William's.

I've also tried VDH and Proraso, and didn't have nearly the good results that I did with my Williams. They lather, and they're okay...but they're no Williams.

Amen!

Just be aware that when you ventilate your liking of Williams here on B&B a rather noisy group of people (who sadly enough are not capable of getting it to work) will stand up to try and convince you otherwise. :biggrin:

Stay faithfull! :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Well, this soap agree with you, that's good! Some soap will require a slightly different technique to lather (more product, less product, more water, less water, shaving brush)...

+1

Never had trouble lathering Williams or any issues shaving with it, and I actually like the mild citronella smell

Williams works fine for a lot of us. If you do much snooping around antique stores keep your eyes peeled for some of the vintage Williams. It is really, really good stuff.

Hi,

I like williams too. I've tried a few squeeze tube. They work well but I like williams best for me.

- Mike

I was under the impression that Williams was a classic brand that began using a different formula and is now considered a "bargain" shave soaps. After hearing your success, I think I'll be picking some up on my next trip to the store and giving it a shot!

Thanks for the tip!

I attempted to try williams today. I am new to this, and worked up a HUGE ball of lather in no time flat, I was surprised how easily it lathered. I lifted the brush to my face and....I was stopped short like a mosquito on a path lit by tiki torches. I could not get over the smell of citronella and rinsed it all down the drain and threw away the brand new $1.25 puck.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Phil

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I attempted to try williams today. I am new to this, and worked up a HUGE ball of lather in no time flat, I was surprised how easily it lathered. I lifted the brush to my face and....I was stopped short like a mosquito on a path lit by tiki torches. I could not get over the smell of citronella and rinsed it all down the drain and threw away the brand new $1.25 puck.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Phil

If you can't find the mosquito that got into the transporter with you, I understand that you can just use a lot of people to try to regain your DNA.

RaisingTheBar said:
Maybe you got a bad puck? haha
Oh, I hope not...I'll be soooo sad if my next puck isn't like this one.

...I was stopped short like a mosquito on a path lit by tiki torches...
Reason 1,002 to love Williams...doubles as a bug repellent? I'll never fear West Nile virus again. ;-)

David <><

Williams works wunnerful for me too. It soaks in its li'l mug while I shower. Then it gets the vulfix super badger, and I've got a bowlfull of thick cream in under a minute. It paints on beautifully. It rinses off clean. It keeps my brush clean too, it seems.

Top Bottom