What's new

Your Holy Grail Scent

Hello gents,

Just curious, and I know these will be all over the board, but I want to know: What is your holy grail scent?

I'm fairly new to the fragrance game here (for higher end frags), but so far for me, the top dog is Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. To me it just perfectly captivates the refined gentleman. It's one of the few I don't mind dropping a few hundred on and not bat an eyelash.

What about yours?

don't know if I've found "the one" but there are contenders.

Etro Sandalo--I normally view unisex scents with some suspicion, but this is one of if not the best sandalwood I've tried. LV Sandalo might take this spot but as beautiful as it is, I can't pull it off.

Cade splash--I often wear it as a cologne.

Gucci PH (not II or Gucci by Gucci, or whatever came next)--beautiful. Sometimes I wonder if Tom Ford is more style than substance, then I remember he did this one.

p.s.--for what it's worth, Evbo knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Holy Grail scent. Holy Grail in the sense that it is elusive and yet to be found, or acquired in this case.

I don't really have one or even know what it would be for me. However, since I also agree with scottb that Evbo knows what he's talking about, I'm going for the true, aged Mysore Indian sandalwood oil! :lol:

Thanks for posting, tehtimmeh!

Evbo is right as far as I am concerned. Rare, precious, unattainable, priceless, very, very special and meaningful.

Not sure that is what you are really asking about though given that you name Tom Ford "Tuscan Leather" as yours.

It is a polarizing scent so there are many who will not agree, and it not really all that expensive, but Pens BB really speaks to me for some reason as a near perfect scent. Dunhill 1934 may be, too. Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie, too.

I am having trouble distinguishing what you are asking from the simpler question of "what is your favorite scent right this minute?"!

I think I could argue that the parfum versions of Jicky and MdM are. MPG Santal Noble. If you are aking sort of what would be your desert island frag, one of the foregoing might fit the bill for me!

Guerlain Vetiver. The latter is not necessarily of a super special elevated class, or anything. It is more an excellent example of scent-making. It may not absolutely blow one away with specialness, but it seems to me basically without flaws of any kind, and true to its ingredients and intent, if that makes sense. Pens English Fern would be of similar ilk to me.

lol what? is it an expesnive brand how much do you normally p;ay for it.

When I picked my original bottle I think it was ~$90 here in the states. I just paid $98 plus $45 shipping for a 125ml bottle from Germany.

I held out for about a year but since there doesn't seem like there isn't going to be any in the U.S. for some time I caved and had to get it.

When I picked my original bottle I think it was ~$90 here in the states. I just paid $98 plus $45 shipping for a 125ml bottle from Germany.

I held out for about a year but since there doesn't seem like there isn't going to be any in the U.S. for some time I caved and had to get it.

so is it a heat like spicy smell? 100 for four OZ aint too bad and I hear about it everywhere on here.

Haha! By holy grail, I just meant you would travel to the ends of the earth (without shoes if you had to) to get some because you love it so much.

Doesn't really matter if it is currently readily available or not :p

I keep hearing so much about K10, I'm about to break down and pick up a decant.

Knize 10 EdT is awesome and Knize 10 AS is very good as well and the price is right at $80 for 225ml. I can't decide whether to wait for the EdT or go with AS.

Burberry London.
I remember a time when it was very expensive and I couldn't get it where I live.
So when I went to the US for a visit, i'd pick up a bottle and use it sparingly.

Hmm... I've got a "to try" list as long as my arm that I'll have to work through before I can offer a satisfactory answer to that question - including an incredible-sounding Taifi rose oil that one of the members here recently told me about...

Anyway, if I have to think of the most beautiful scent that I've come across to date, it would have to be C & S Dark Rose. It doesn't necessarily always work for me (the rose can be a bit too sweet for the office) but every facet of its structure is beautiful - transcendental, even!

Now, for a real "holy grail" scent I would have to say deer musk: I daresay most of us have never smelled it, and will probably never smell it, but it certainly sounds like something worth questing for.

Top Bottom