What's new

Which is more moisturizing, IK or MWF?

Which is the most moisturizing?

• Institute Karite

• Mitchell's wool fat

• I like my face to resemble sandpaper after shaving (i.e.-Williams)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I haven't used Institut Karité in a long time, so but I do remember it being one of the most moisturizing soaps. Though I think MWF still does a better job at moisturizing, is a much a better all around soap.

I no longer own a puck of IK, but I am on my second puck of MWF. Did that answer the question? :tongue_sm

Although, IK has been brought up more and more as of late in the recent past ... perhaps time for a revisit?

When you say "moisturizing", what do you mean? In the ordinary sense of the word, water is quite moisturizing.

Last edited:
When you say "moisturizing", what do you mean? In the ordinary sense of the word, water is quite moisturizing.

I suppose choice number three should have been " keep face submerged in bucket of water ":w00t:

Moisturizing, as in giving one's face moisture....

Last edited:
I can neither confirm, nor deny any allegations that this poll may have anything to do ( or not do) with an itch to go out and buy another puck of shave soap. That is pure speculation and rumor mongering!:lol:

Little known fact: IK contains a derivative of lanolin.
Little known fact 2: I doubt IK contains much free shea butter. Most if not all has been saponified, and what then remains of the reported properties of the shea is anyone's guess. It does give the lather a heavier feel (shea consists of longer carbon chains), and that is, in my opinion, pleasant.

What people consider the 'moisturisation effect' of MWF is basically not moisturisation, but simply making the skin soft and smooth. Lanolin has that property. Those of you who have used (genuine) creams or milks with microcrystalline wax (or 'cera microcristallina') know the unmistakable feel of this ingredient; lanolin does something quite similar.

MWF does better in the lanolin department and so results in a softer and waxier skin; but IK is much less finicky with loading.

I suppose choice number three should have been " keep face submerged in bucket of water ":w00t:

Moisturizing, as in giving one's face moisture....

In what way is any shaving soap more moisturizing that sticking one's head in a bucket of water? Please be a bit more specific. I really want to know what people mean when they say that a soap is "moisturizing".

In what way is any shaving soap more moisturizing that sticking one's head in a bucket of water? Please be a bit more specific. I really want to know what people mean when they say that a soap is "moisturizing".

I think you're just bitter because I put in that dig on Williams!:tongue_sm

As we head into the winter months you will be able to notice that water in and of itself can be the opposite of moisturizing. If you wash your hands, and don't dry them well the effect of the surface water evaporating into the dry air will leave you with dry, chapped hands. Thus, I contend that water, in and of itself, in many situations is not very moisturizing. This is also the purpose of soap for shaving, as the soap acts to help keep the water from evaporating off your face vis-a-vis the lather. A rumored side benefit of certain mythical shave soaps is that they also may impart longer lasting moisturing retention benefits to the skin long after the shave is done, which is what I'm trying to find out here.

Last edited:
As we head into the winter months you will be able to notice that water in and of itself can be the opposite of moisturizing. If you wash your hands, and don't dry them well the effect of the surface water evaporating into the dry air will leave you with dry, chapped hands. Thus, I contend that water, in and of itself, in many situations is not very moisturizing. This is also the purpose of soap for shaving, as the soap acts to help keep the water from evaporating off your face vis-a-vis the lather. A rumored side benefit of certain mythical shave soaps is that they also may impart longer lasting moisturing retention benefits to the skin long after the shave is done, which is what I'm trying to find out here.

Yep. This is also why licking chapped lips tends to make them worse.

I don't even understand how shaving soap is supposed to moisturize your skin. I never notice any difference between my various soaps and creams. Slickness and protection, yes. Moisturizing, no. My aftershaves and balms take care of that, since they actually sit on your skin for more than thirty seconds at a time.

Top Bottom