What's new

Scheduling first barber shave

Well I decided that it's time see how a barber would shave me. I live in NYC so anyone have any recommendations on where to go and who to request?

I was thinking about going to this place because I wanted to get shaved by that blond hottie (Diane Wood)

http://www.paulmolebarbershop.com/

Turns out she isn't and option. :mad3:

Anyone know if that place is alright? Or will they butcher my face? Should I go there with a few days of growth, or with just one day's growth?

Considering you just hit on the owner's daughter in a public forum you might want to make that reservation under another name! he might be the one wielding the straight.:biggrin1:

Enjoy your shave! (and report back.)

:laugh:

Hopefully he doesn't browse this forum. :scared: I might head over tomorrow. I'm sporting two day growth at the moment and I look forward to seeing what they do.

I got shaved today. Not bad, but not great either. He nicked me in three places, I have razor burn on my neck and there is a patch that isn't as smooth as it should be.

BUT, it was extremely close! :thumbup1: Even with all that prep, he still had to change the blade three times. I guess my beard is pretty tough...:001_tongu

I'm never going back, but I'm happy that I went. I learned a few things. One, I need to work on my technique to get a closer shave; two, I'm not as bad at shaving as I thought; three, I should add some more prep to my routine; and four, the shavette is sharper than a straight.

Check out NY Shave Company down in Little Italy on Elizabeth St. I go there to purchase TOBS products but never actually got a shave there though. They always have someone waiting to get a shave so they cant be bad. That is a fancy place but if you want just a regular barber shop there is on on 9th ave somewhere around 46 st that has a few chairs in it.
If you feel adventurous and want to take a drive or a train ride out to Jersey, Old World Shaving Parlor in Red Bank is great. I had a shave there and they carry Truefitt & Hill. The older barber there was my barber way back when I was a kid in Jersey City.

I got a Barber shave (only once) about 7 years ago and I had a very similar experience. It was OK, but I did get nicked, and had some razor burn as well. The shave was close, but it honestly did not compare to the shaves I am now getting by myself.

It is nice to be pampered, hot toweled, etc, but at the end of the day I can do much better myself, and I don't have to spend $20.00 bucks for razor burn!

I went to NY Shave Co downtown a few months back.

Quite frankly, save your money.

The guy that runs the front of the shop is nice and friendly. I thought the barber was not particularly bothered about good service or a good shave. He was very rough, worked very fast, and nicked me but good right under my nose. It was not a great experience and the shave was nowhere near close.

My wife was not convinced I had even been for a shave.

I have never received a barber shave that was better than what I can do at home.

+1, but...

When I was in Florence a little over a month ago, I happened by a hole-in-the-wall, two-chair barber shop owned by Luigi. Decided on the spot to get a straight shave; how could I resist? Of course Luigi didn't speak a word of English, but he knew what he was doing.

This was Classico Italiano: Omega Pro 48 brush, Proraso shave cream, straight-edge razor, Floid amber AS, Proraso Pre/Post... BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE!

I don't how he did it, but he worked that straight razor like an artist and there were no weepers or nicks and not a single stub of a hair left.

I guess this is what comes with 50 years' straight razor shaving experience (seriously, he has owned his shop close to the Duomo for 50 years)!

Sorry to hear your not-so-great experiences, but when it's done right, it's awesome!:001_cool:

Top Bottom