What's new

Bloody First DE Shave

So after lurking, reading, re-reading, watching the videos and buying a DE setup, I had my first shave this morning with a merkur hd.

My prep was probably not enough, my lather too wet (or too dry), the angle was wrong most of the time, and my whole face was one big weeper, but...

There were actually a few slow strokes of the cheek where I heard a different sound, didn't really feel the razor much, and didn't see any blood. And I think I might have glimpsed what all you crazy shavin' folks are talking about. Maybe. I'll definitely give it another go, have to make the investment pay off after all.

Too many people to thank here. Thanks to everyone that took the time to post all the helpful information at this site. Definitely one of the best resources on any topic that I've seen anywhere online. And I look at Web sites for a living. This is quite a community you guys have built here. Great stuff.

:thumbup1: Congratulations, and don't worry, you'll get better at it.

Remember: When you think you're already applying no pressure, try applying even less. Shave S-L-O-W-L-Y. Its an enjoyable experience, so why rush? And, as you discovered, when you can hear the whiskers being cut, but can't feel the blade, you've got it right! :thumbup:

:thumbup1: Congratulations, and don't worry, you'll get better at it.

Remember: When you think you're already applying no pressure, try applying even less. Shave S-L-O-W-L-Y. Its an enjoyable experience, so why rush? And, as you discovered, when you can hear the whiskers being cut, but can't feel the blade, you've got it right! :thumbup:

Congratulations on the first step! Put it this way - all great tasks require at least a minimal shedding of blood!

+1 to what DamnFineBob said: Go slow, no pressure, and enjoy it!

Maybe if you tell us your kit, we can give specific pointers.

Best,

- ice

jdcpar5:

Welcome from one newb to another. I'm glad you are enjoying this site. Great folks here who are always willing to help.

Be patient and remember to go slow. It took me a couple of weeks of going over the videos, rereading the Wickis, practicing my angle, remembering to let the weight of the razor do the work, and going slow. One thing that really resonated with me was to remember I was taking part of the whiskers off at a time, not completing the shave. I guess we have to break the bad habits we all learned from the multi cartridge/goo in a can 5-minute shave experiences we all had.

Now my styptic pencil sits in its container and I enjoy 15-20 minutes of shaving bliss every evening using the types of razors our grandfathers and fathers shaved with. Again, welcome and enjoy the experience.

Don

Welcome to the B&B. If anything, try to get through the next shave or two with the focus on not hurting yourself. Getting a close shave will come quickly enough.

From one noob to another:
As others before me have said, take it slow. Don't worry about the magical baby butt smooth (BBS) shave your first time. Instead, just concentrate on your technique. Go slow and use just enough pressure to keep the razor from falling out of your hands. Let the weight of the head do the cutting. Just when you think it is not doing anything, you might be surprised to find that it is actually working. I'm still in the learning phase myself, after shaving with a cartridge razor for years. A cartridge razor works better by applying pressure whereas a DE razor works with almost no pressure. I found a splash with Witch Hazel atringement after the shave helps with the weepers and leakers. Stick with it and you'll be well on your way to achieving a smooth shave.
Cheers and welcome to the B&B, :001_cool:

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have to remember to go slooooow and ease up on the pressure. Thanks, I'll try to remember that for the next shave.

@icedoverfire my kit is: Merkur HD #34C, Derby extra blade, Tweezerman brush, Mama Bear's Rosemary & Mint soap.

Also new to this, I started with the derby blade for a couple days. It was frustrating, but the next day when I switched to the astra, everything started looking up. Maybe after the derby is dull try another blade.

Welcome to the B&B! A good trick for helping to find your proper angle is to hold the head of the razor to your cheek, with the handle parallel to the floor. Slowly lower the handle, and take a careful pass. Continue lowering the handle until you find your sweet spot. As said before, use no pressure!

Also, with the information overload I'm sure you are experiencing, try not to over think it! It is just shaving after all. Relax and have fun! :thumbup:

Keep with it. Short, light strokes and make sure you've got lather where you're shaving. Re-lather the area if it dries out. There is a learning curve in trying to "unlearn" bad habits from a cartridge. Don't worry about a close shave, just concentrate on technique. Rewatch mantics videos. If you're not getting a good lather with soap, try a cream.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Take this one step at the time. It might take a while to get a very very close shave but it's worth it!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Should be really interesting when I try the Merkur on my head tomorrow. Any thoughts for n00b head-shavers?

So after lurking, reading, re-reading, watching the videos and buying a DE setup, I had my first shave this morning with a merkur hd.

My prep was probably not enough, my lather too wet (or too dry), the angle was wrong most of the time, and my whole face was one big weeper, but...

There were actually a few slow strokes of the cheek where I heard a different sound, didn't really feel the razor much, and didn't see any blood. And I think I might have glimpsed what all you crazy shavin' folks are talking about. Maybe. I'll definitely give it another go, have to make the investment pay off after all.

Too many people to thank here. Thanks to everyone that took the time to post all the helpful information at this site. Definitely one of the best resources on any topic that I've seen anywhere online. And I look at Web sites for a living. This is quite a community you guys have built here. Great stuff.

Same first razor, same first shave experience. Don't worry about it. That was more than 2 years ago and I haven't had such a messy experience since. Just try not to dig it into your skin like the Machxxxxx allows you to do. You might not get the closest shave first, but it should be blood free and presentable and you build from there.

Welcome to the fold.

Like someone said, don't get too carried away with a really close shave until you work on your technique some more. It's hard to break the habit of pushing down after using cartridge razors.

Also, try to experiment with some other brands of blades. It's amazing how much difference a blade will make.

Good luck and hang in there. It will get better.

Top Bottom