What's new

Pipe and pipe tobacco vendor you recommend?

I used to have some cheap corn cob pipes, they disappeared/broke and I want to get another and some more tobacco.

I was looking for a reputable vendor if anyone knows of one. For example I love BullGoose, small business, great customer service and prices. Is there something that you know of for pipes?

Note I am also open to any other recommendations as to pipes and tobacco if you are interested. I am looking for a briarwood pipe$, who knows maybe a meerschaum if I like it.

Thanks a lot!

I haven't smoked in a few months (not me 'quitting my awful nicotine addiction' or anything, just lost interest when it became inconvenient based on my schedule) but when I did I loved 4noggins.com

Rich provides great customer service--one time offered to buy back a tin of bacca that I decided, for no good reason, that I didn't particularly want-- and is always happy to throw in a few free samples of his excellent house blends. And no, I didn't send the stuff back in the end.

But awesome folks, great service, small business, etc.

My favorite site is http://pipesandcigars.com/

Higher end pipes check out all the Italian companies. Look at Savanelli, Peterson, Nording, Mastro De Paja for some great pipes that aren't expensive.

Check out their Hearth and Home bulk blends. Anniversary Kake is one of my favorite VaPer's out there. Also most of the Peter Stokkebye blends are fantastic. They also have some good prices on pipes. I'm actually kinda surprised no one has suggested them yet.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are pretty new to pipe smoking. I would recommend that you find a good, knowledgable pipe and tobacco shop where you live. Not only can you find a good selection of pipes and tobaccos, but get information on how to properly pack a pipe. It also affords the opportunity to sniff various tobacco blends and sample.

If there is not a good one in your area, I am sure the ones mentioned above are quite good.

I'll second http://www.smokingpipes.com, I've done a lot of business with them and always been satisfied. Their pipes can be a little pricey, but their tobacco prices more than make up for it, IMO.

I love smokingpipes.com. I find the prices are better then cupojoes.com. If you live in NYS I would try to order from anyone who isn't in the sate you you don't have to pay the very large tax on tobacco. Smokingpipes.com also gets new pipes in twice a week and ship fast. Good luck.

It sounds like you are pretty new to pipe smoking. I would recommend that you find a good, knowledgable pipe and tobacco shop where you live. Not only can you find a good selection of pipes and tobaccos, but get information on how to properly pack a pipe. It also affords the opportunity to sniff various tobacco blends and sample.

If there is not a good one in your area, I am sure the ones mentioned above are quite good.

I think very few people will have a good pipe shop close to them. All the 'tobacconists' around me are cigar shops, and know nothing about pipes. All their pipe tobaccos are cheap aromatics.

I would love to get some time with quality pipes. I had a corncob that got a lot of use a few years ago, but is now gone. There is a "tobacco" store here, as mentioned it's 95% geared towards roll your own and cigars. They do corncobs and some dr. grabows, and some cpt black etc pipe tobacco. Some stuff in baggies that says blended in Anchorage, about as close as it will get here.

I think very few people will have a good pipe shop close to them. All the 'tobacconists' around me are cigar shops, and know nothing about pipes. All their pipe tobaccos are cheap aromatics.

See above...

I ordered a few tins of various CAO to try, read good reviews, we'll see how it goes, thanks guys

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe(not the cheap knockoff's). The savinelli duca carla pipe line is really good for the price. I have a few of those. I went to the Las Vegas pipe show this year, and I came back really impressed with Hearth and Home tobacco's. I also reccommend that begginers stay away from aromatic blends in general. I found myself puffing to vigourusly trying to get flavor out of an aromatic, where there was no flavor. I ended up with tounge bite and a scortched tounge. If you do go with an aromatic, make sure it is high quality.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe(not the cheap knockoff's). The savinelli duca carla pipe line is really good for the price. I have a few of those. I went to the Las Vegas pipe show this year, and I came back really impressed with Hearth and Home tobacco's. I also reccommend that begginers stay away from aromatic blends in general. I found myself puffing to vigourusly trying to get flavor out of an aromatic, where there was no flavor. I ended up with tounge bite and a scortched tounge. If you do go with an aromatic, make sure it is high quality.

Thanks for the info! Good point, wish someone told me that a year ago, I had some vanilla stuff, and exactly what you said happened. Any recommendations? The little shop has quite a few different brands if pipe tobacco, prince albert, half and half, cpt black, some farmers choice or something.

most tobacconists try and do newbies a favor when suggesting the aromatics. The suggestins listed are considered otc's. Out of those, I don't like capt black, as its on the aromatic side. My favorite OTC is Carter hall. I also like Half and half. Prince albert isn't bad, I just dont get a lot of flavor from it.

L.J. Perreti's: This place is a classic old-time tobacco shop. Family-owned since forever and expert in all things tobacco. Staggering selection and great custom blends, too. Well worth a vist if you're in Boston anytime -- you can cross the river and hit Colonial Drug right after!
http://www.ljperetti.com/

Top Bottom