What's new

Boar brush for face lather ?

Simple question: Which boar brush to buy for face lathering ?

Demands:

- Soft tips
- Good lather
- not floppy
- not scratchy

Omega pro 49, Semoque 830, 620 .... others ?

Semoque 830 or 620. I like the 830 personally, but my guess is many will suggest the 620.

All 3 are good options though.

Demands:

- Soft tips
- Good lather
- not floppy
- not scratchy

I only have the Omega Pro 49 and I love it. However, it is not very soft, and can be pretty scratchy. But in my year of SBAD (so far!), nothing has come close to face lathering with MWF than the Pro 49. It seems to create more lather as the passes proceed, and one thing it cannot be accused of is being floppy. Despite its high loft and wide knot.

I have the Semogue 1305 and the Owners Club - after a little breaking in, these are both fabulous - and meet your requirements.

I assume the other Semogues would be equally wonderful.

I will likely be drummed out of the Plisson Owner's Group for this - but man, I love these bristle brushes!

After some good soaks in boiled water will also help to soften the tips, as will just making lots of lather.

If you want something cheaper, try an Omega 10065, which can be had at Shoeboxshaveshop for 9.99 (that's where I got mine). I face lather with Proraso soap and TOBS cream with no problems.

EDIT - I made a thread asking about the same thing a while ago, and the Pro 49 was advised against for face lathering because the loft was too long. They said it was a great brush but it might be a little troublesome to face lather.

Last edited:
The 49 makes face lathering a breeze, I don't find it scratchy at all, to me its very soft and applies lather effortlessly, simply amazing ! Best Boar out there IMHO

The 49 makes face lathering a breeze, I don't find it scratchy at all, to me its very soft and applies lather effortlessly, simply amazing ! Best Boar out there IMHO

Have you ever tried a Semogue bristle brush? I found the Omega 49 to be a horrible brush. It was way too big, it did not break in after 6 months of use. It lathered from my cheek bone to my neck.

I would recommend any of the more popular Semogue bristle brushes.

I use the Semogue 830. It's great for face lathering soaps--good size, nice and soft tips, not floppy etc.. I haven't gotten the hang of face lathering a cream with it yet.

Demands:

- Soft tips
- Good lather
- not floppy
- not scratchy

The Semogue 830 is a boar brush that resembles a fine badger brush, and I like to bowl lather with it. It does an outstanding job. I like bowl lathering with a straight razor shave.

I like a stiff boar brush such as the Omega 10005 for face lathering. It's nice to use this with an Irisch Moos shave stick for a smell of honest to goodness freshness. I most often do this on days I use a DE razor.

Depending on how I feel, I prefer one or the other.

Have you ever tried a Semogue bristle brush? I found the Omega 49 to be a horrible brush. It was way too big, it did not break in after 6 months of use. It lathered from my cheek bone to my neck.

I would recommend any of the more popular Semogue bristle brushes.
No sir the only two brushes I own are a VDH Boar with what looks like about a 1 3/4" loft and maybe around a 20-21 mm knot and it really works pretty well, and a Pro 49 Omega which I'm very fond of, a great producer for me, it makes a ton of lather and holds it very well for me. I'm not opposed to trying a Semogue, cause have read a lot of good about them. I have tried several of my buds Badgers and they really don't do anything for me, not any big difference in softness of tips and don't load my brush as good as either of my Boars. I will buy more brushes, as money isn't a problem, just don't want to put out a 100.00 + on a Badger and be pissed off cause I did. I see a Semogue 1305 or a Owners Club being purchased in the very near future. In your opinion are those two very good brushes ?

...I see a Semogue 1305 or a Owners Club being purchased in the very near future. In your opinion are those two very good brushes ?

I don't have a 1305 but I do have a SOC that I received about 4 weeks ago and have been using it ever since. To me it's a fantastic brush and I use it for both bowl and face lathering, mainly using soaps (Cella & MWF). It does a great job of loading from hard soaps. It still has a ways to go to be fully broken in but it is great even now. I also have a Semogue 620 on order...looking forward to face latering with that beauty!

I see a Semogue 1305 or a Owners Club being purchased in the very near future. In your opinion are those two very good brushes ?

I have both and they are top notch. The 1305 is less dense and soft, but will retain its backbone when broken in. It's my favourite.

The SOC is a bit bigger and fatter (but not too big, I don't like huge brushes), has a better grade of bristle, breaks in badger-soft, but loses that extra backbone I like for face lathering; I like to feel the brush, it gets used all the time despite this. Still has more bone than my Silvertip.

Either is a good choice, and will need break in time. Both tested my patience, but that's part of the deal in forming the relationship. The SOC will take longer - give it a month.

Last edited:
No sir the only two brushes I own are a VDH Boar with what looks like about a 1 3/4" loft and maybe around a 20-21 mm knot and it really works pretty well, and a Pro 49 Omega which I'm very fond of, a great producer for me, it makes a ton of lather and holds it very well for me. I'm not opposed to trying a Semogue, cause have read a lot of good about them. I have tried several of my buds Badgers and they really don't do anything for me, not any big difference in softness of tips and don't load my brush as good as either of my Boars. I will buy more brushes, as money isn't a problem, just don't want to put out a 100.00 + on a Badger and be pissed off cause I did. I see a Semogue 1305 or a Owners Club being purchased in the very near future. In your opinion are those two very good brushes ?
Hi blugill,
I think you would really enjoy a Semogue (heck, you're already a boar guy) Check out http://vintagescent.com/ they are a top notch co. If you have any questions just email Bruno, he is very helpful!! Good luck and let us know if you order one!

Semogues are excellent boar brushes. I have also tried a smaller Omega that I liked very much. Another option is a Vulfix boar. I have one, and have found it to be pretty soft right away, and it's still not fully broken in yet.

I have nothing against Semogue, which is obviously the boar to have these days, but my Omega's are among the softest boars with very little break in needed. Other options are the Mühle boars, which are a steal but need much more time to become soft, and the overlooked Vulfix boars. The Vulfix boars are the softest right out of the box but, depending on the model, might need more time before the hairs split.

Anyway I would not go for a boar with over 50mm loft for face lathering. The short ones work best IMO.

Love my 620 but it did take a lot of breaking in to get there. so it will be a bit scritchy for a while. Glad i stayed with it though because it is starting to get a lot of use in my line up now. maybe some of the other ones will give you a more instant gratification and i really cant speak to that but for the price maybe grab a 620 and something else to bridge the time it takes to break it in. Good luck.

Ian

Top Bottom