What's new

Soon jumping on the train.

Last evening a postman handed me a package bound from Texas, thanks Larry! Funnily enough as per the tracking page it's still in Fort Worth.
So far, the razor sits on the shelf and I've been watching it with a flyswatter handy out of a corner of my eye the whole day in case it tries something.
Saturday morning I'll give it a go: CF preshave oil and first reduction pass with a Vision dialled all the way down. Normally the shavette is fine on the cheeks, even ATG, but the chin and neck will take months, that I seem strangely to be looking forward to.
One question though: do you gents strop in between the passes also?

/Juraj

Remember! Shavettes are sharper than straight razors. You will have to adjust your expectations and technique somewhat.

The hardest part of shaving is often the first WTG pass where you have to knock down tall whiskers. If you have problems with the first pass shaving at about a 30 degree angle, lay your blade flat on your face, or close to your face on the first pass, and you should be OK.

If you still have problems with the initial knocking down of whiskers, shave with a safety razor first, down to stubble level. Then, finish the shave with the straight razor. Do that a few shaves. That way, you learn a lot of technique and method. And, with that ability, when you start using the safety razor a little less, you will do better at the initial knock the whiskers down to skin level phase.

Good luck!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Last evening a postman handed me a package bound from Texas, thanks Larry! Funnily enough as per the tracking page it's still in Fort Worth.
So far, the razor sits on the shelf and I've been watching it with a flyswatter handy out of a corner of my eye the whole day in case it tries something.
Saturday morning I'll give it a go: CF preshave oil and first reduction pass with a Vision dialled all the way down. Normally the shavette is fine on the cheeks, even ATG, but the chin and neck will take months, that I seem strangely to be looking forward to.
One question though: do you gents strop in between the passes also?

/Juraj

I don't strop between passes no. I strop between shaves only.

I will occasionally strop after my first pass, if my whiskers are particularly gnarley or the razor isn't one of my better ones. I don't typically find it necessary, though.

I don't strop between passes no. I strop between shaves only.

+1 I only strop between shaves too. Good luck on your first shave. If like me you become addicted, I can guarantee that it will take more than a fly-swatter to keep it away from you.
:laugh:

out of my ~30 shaves so far, i just stropped during a first pass, on the last one, to see if there was a difference. it may have been the stropping, my imagination, or just taking a break helped me, but i felt the shave process improved.

I only strop between passes if the razor seems to be losing its edge, which means I probably need a few passes on the barber hone to get it back in shape - usually after 40-60 shaves I'd guess. But if you have the time and the inclination, a little extra stropping between passes, if done correctly, won't hurt and might help.

Top Bottom