What's new

Help me choose: Paintshop Pro vs Photoshop Elements

OK folks, new computer and time for new image software. My last 2 machines have had Paint Shop Pro on them and the previous machines had Photoshop.

Note: I am not interested in full blown Photoshop. It is way overkill for my needs.

One thing that I really liked about Paintshop Pro was the easy to use (and very effective) red eye removal. This is what prompted me to move from Photoshop to Paint Shop back some 5-6 years ago.

Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements are at the same pricepoint so cost won't be a deciding factor.

1. Does PSE have a built in red eye remover like PSP?

2. Does PSE support the PS filters?

What features would persuade me to choose Photoshop Elements over Paint Shop Pro?

I would strongly recommend your not making the decision based purely on this feature. As you learn more about the editing features, you will see that there are a number of ways to deal with red-eye. I use Photoshop CS@ and Lightroom. I heven't used Elements in awhile but i believe it gets high marks. I would be willing to bet it does have a red-eye removal.

Red eye removal won't be a make it or break it feature for me. I just remember back in the days of Photoshop 4 and 5 that to do a red eye reduction, there were a series of steps you had to do that would take me 15 min because I so rarely needed to do it whereas in Paintshop Pro, they had a tool dedicated to it.

If PSE can handle filters and effects like Photoshop can then that is points for PSE.

PSE does handle filters and has a big portion of what is on PS itself. You might take a look at Lightroom. It costs a little more (~$200) but it is a great program. It does have a redeye tool and great processing features, incl black and white conversion tools, color adjustments, printing modules, file management features, etc.. You may be able to get a trial on it. It's Adobe's new product and it gets rave reviews.

I haven't used it much but Google's Picasa has been getting good reviews for basic photo editing.

Some editor of a newspaper out there said that it was effective for basic image editing, and he is having his reporters use it when taking snapshots in the field. That statement made our photojournalist scoff at the thought. I can't seem to find a source of that statement, it was something I "heard around the watercooler" this past week.

You can't beat the price though.

If you want to spend a little more money and get something quite a bit better, look at Adobe Lightroom.

I use the GIMP, myself. Its free. But I am thinking about buying Lightroom, this weekend.

Tim

A fellow member sent me an OEM copy of Photoshop 5- I cannot compare it to anything else but I do like it. When I download photos into the program it scans for red eye and corrects it automatically.

If you want to spend a little more money and get something quite a bit better, look at Adobe Lightroom.

I use the GIMP, myself. Its free. But I am thinking about buying Lightroom, this weekend.

Tim

I tried GIMP once. I did not like it at all. Maybe it has become easier to use in the past 4-5 years and worth checking out again.

I picked up Lightroom and the verdict is still out but I think I am disappointed. As it turns out, this is made to be used in conjunction with a real photo editor (like Photoshop, PS Elements, Paintshop Pro, etc.) and not as a stand alone product.

I wanted something that I could crop and copy & paste with in addition to the normal photo type adjustments but this seems to barely be able to crop and doesn't have any kind of filtering effects. There are a couple of cool features but this wasn't what I was looking for.

So, in conclusion I am still looking for a photo editing package. I might end up going with PSE since i already have an Adobe product...

Rob,
Not speaking as an expert, but the one thing that I have learned thus far is that with the many different entry level photo editing packages, the right one to get is the one that does not only what you desire to do today, but the one that has an upward migration path. It seems that sooner or later we all want something bigger, better, faster, more flexible, etc.. When you buy in with a tyro package, you learn the paradigm, keystrokes, and techniques that will stand you in good stead at exploiting the next (inevitable) upgrade.

Rob,
Not speaking as an expert, but the one thing that I have learned thus far is that with the many different entry level photo editing packages, the right one to get is the one that does not only what you desire to do today, but the one that has an upward migration path. It seems that sooner or later we all want something bigger, better, faster, more flexible, etc.. When you buy in with a tyro package, you learn the paradigm, keystrokes, and techniques that will stand you in good stead at exploiting the next (inevitable) upgrade.

I understand what you are saying but I don't see myself quitting my day job to pursue a career in graphic design or professional photography so I can say with certainty that Photoshop CS2/CS3 are overkill for me in both features and price. At the same time, the photo editing packages that came with my digital cameras can't do everything I need them to do. So that leaves the proAm packages such as Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and perhaps one or two other contenders.

Top Bottom