What's new

Bic sensitive disposables..

After trying out about 10-12 various DE razors using various creams, soaps, blades and really working on the technique for about 9 months now, I have found that the razor that gives me the best results time after time is the Bic sensitive disposable (the classsic yellow/white one).
This feels almost hard to admit as I have now gotten myself a nice collection of vintage razors of various kinds and the bics doesn´t really fit into the picture. :huh:

Anybody else have a similar experience?

To me it seems that all the work I have put into learning proper technical skills have really made a difference. Before I dived into DE shaving I would get pretty crappy results with the Bics but now that I know how to shave properly they really stand out as fine razors in all their simplicity.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Just kidding. Finding a combo that works for you is what it's all about, whether it's vintage gillette, new merkur, bic disposable, whatever*. Congratulations on attaining the results you were after.

*=except electrics, that's just wrong. :)

I've found that the Bics give much better results than you would expect; certainly it's possible to get an adequate shave with them. Other people around here have written highly of them.

I've gotten better results with several kinds of injector, SE, and DE razors, as well as a couple of cartridges, but that's only an example of "YMMV". When people say that a particular razor is best for them, I always take their word for it.:thumbup1:

Bic's are great.

While I shave with straights and DE's the easiest and quickest shave is with a Bic.

However, while the result is great the act is not so satisfying.

Of the disposable razors out there BIC does it best.

The BIC Sensitive and Metal do a fine job and I get DFS results.

The only problem I have with them is they are light which causes me to put pressure on my technique.

They make a great travel razor.

I sometimes can find them at less than 10 cents a piece.

Bic Sensitive was widely known to be a very good single blade razor and a great starter for anyone picking up wet shaving. Enjoy them as much as you like!

After trying out about 10-12 various DE razors using various creams, soaps, blades and really working on the technique for about 9 months now, I have found that the razor that gives me the best results time after time is the Bic sensitive disposable (the classsic yellow/white one).
This feels almost hard to admit as I have now gotten myself a nice collection of vintage razors of various kinds and the bics doesn´t really fit into the picture. :huh:

Anybody else have a similar experience?

I love the Bic Sensitive and Bic Metal. They are great shavers and my go to blade for travel. I wanted to like the Metal better, but actually got better results from the Sensitive.

I found that the technique and results I got form the Bic was more similar to an Injector or an SE than a DE. If you are getting better results with a Bic, then you really need to try a good SE like a Gem or an Ever-Ready. Fantastic shavers. Let me know if you want help finding one.

The Bic sensitive provides a reliably close, comfortable shave. I still use one from time to time. The only DE that approaches the shave I get from the Bic is my Slim.

The Vez 2:

"I found that the technique and results I got form the Bic was more similar to an Injector or an SE than a DE. If you are getting better results with a Bic, then you really need to try a good SE like a Gem or an Ever-Ready. Fantastic shavers. Let me know if you want help finding one."

I have been thinking along those lines already. The next step is to try the Gem Micromatic I own but have not yet tried. Any blade suggestions? Haven´t purchased any blades for it yet. I am also considering getting myself an injector. Are they still in production or will I have to find a vintage one? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks for helping out everybody!

The next step is to try the Gem Micromatic I own but have not yet tried. Any blade suggestions? Haven´t purchased any blades for it yet.
There are a few blades still in production. Two good blades are the ones found at CVS and the ones found a Walgreens. Either should serve you well.

I am also considering getting myself an injector. Are they still in production or will I have to find a vintage one? If so, any recommendations?

You'll have to go vintage for an Injector. Schick stopped making them in 2001. Type E or G are good, the only difference is what the handle is made from. Type J has the same head, but a longer handle if you prefer that. Those are probably the best ones, but there are others to choose from. See what your local antique stores have. I've found all of mine (5 of them) within 20 minutes from my house.

If you've found a razor or shave combo that works for you, and you're satisfied with it, then who's to say you're wrong? Stay with it or go back to it, you can always experiment with other razors or shave combo's. :laugh: :biggrin1: :w00t:

Been trying Bic Metal for 3 weeks. I only shave once or twice a week. Seems to leave more stuble around the throat area. I dont shave against the grain anymore...(least for now). I think i was getting slightly better results with good ol Gillete Good news. However the Bic Metal seems to have a super sharp blade. Im guessing that bar isnt getting close enough in that area for some reason...

Last time I found Bic Metal was across town from me at a Walgreen's. It seems from reading these posts that Bic Metal is still in production and I'm glad to hear that; now I'll start complaining to local store managers.

I am correct in my assumption that Bic Metal is still in production, right?

I always keep a pack Bic Sensitives around.

Are you guys talking about the Bic 3 blades sensitive?

That is the only Bic that I can find locally that has the words "sensitive" written on it.

I was a fan of the Bic Metals-until I found the Schick Slim Twin. I've tried an injector, and a DE, but haven't quite got the hang of it. I'm going to try the DE again, albeit with a quality blade and not one that comes from Family Dollar this time.

Having said this, I get a quick, pain-free, BBS shave around 75% of the time with my Schick disposable. Not sure any DE is going to improve on this.

Beerman

Last time I found Bic Metal was across town from me at a Walgreen's. It seems from reading these posts that Bic Metal is still in production and I'm glad to hear that; now I'll start complaining to local store managers.

I am correct in my assumption that Bic Metal is still in production, right?

I always keep a pack Bic Sensitives around.

Yes it is available at Wal-greens however not all Wal-Greens carry them. Just bought 2 packs last week at Wal-Greens. They keep a single row of maybe 8 packs or so. The lady told me same three or four guys come and scoop them up as soon as they put them out.

Yes it is available at Wal-greens however not all Wal-Greens carry them. Just bought 2 packs last week at Wal-Greens. They keep a single row of maybe 8 packs or so. The lady told me same three or four guys come and scoop them up as soon as they put them out.

Thank you for this information, I'm glad to know they still make them. The Walgreens I found mine at were all the way across town and I guess that's just the way it is and I'll have to keep driving over there looking for them.

Top Bottom