What's new

My search for the perfect shave...

Hello, Newbie checking in. I have been surfing this forum for the past few weeks and felt it was time to make an introduction.

I'll feel like I should begin with:

"Hi, my name is Dusty. I like long walks on the beach..." :thumbdown
or​
"Hi, my name is Dusty and I'm a recovering cartridge razor and canned goo user".:glare:

Nah, instead I'll just begin my tale.

I finally got fed up with the high cost of cartridges and the crappy results when shaving with them. That is when I started searching around for a way to achieve a better shave. It was during one of my many, endless searches with various search engines that I happened upon this site.

As I started lurking around these forums, I discovered lots of helpful tips, and a plethora of information related to achieving a better shave. The more and more I read, I discovered that the "secret" was not in some fancy, new-fangled cartridge with multiple blades. The secret lay in what some would call "ancient" and "archaic" tech that dates back more than a hundred years. That's right, I discovered the world of double edged razors.

At this point, I remembered coming across a couple of old safety razors after my grandparents had passed on. I didn't think much about them until recently. I went and re-discovered them and brought them inside. They were kind of nasty looking, all covered in green and "stuff". I got to reading the forums some more and learned how to clean them. Ahhh, the power of the scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush.

They cleaned up in no time and were looking pretty spiffy by the time I got through with them.

After they were cleaned up, I was able to identify them through the wiki (very informative and helpful wiki, by the way). It turns out I had reclaimed a 1940s style Super Speed (which I found out later that my grandfather bought in 1948) and a Flare Tip Super Speed (which I later found my grandfather bought in 1960).

It was time to shave...or so I thought. During my previous web searches I discovered a bunch of videos by "mantic59" that offer helpful advice to get started with proper shaving. I went and made some popcorn and settled in to "get me some learnin" on how and what not to do to achieve a better shave. Whew, I should have made a second batch of popcorn and grabbed a six-pack... lol. Anyway, I felt reasonably confident and decided "it was time".

I couldn't wait for the sample pack (as suggested on this forum) to arrive and I just happened to have found a few blades when I discovered the razors in storage.

I experimented with my lathering technique and felt my results were pretty close to what I saw on the videos. I did three passes with the 1940s style Super Speed for my first shave and only dinged myself once. I got careless with my grip...lesson learned. Be careful and don't try to rush things. It's all about enjoying the ritual.

I only have one disappointment though. I used to have to shave every day, sometimes twice a day. Now, I shave every other day or sometimes every third day. Maybe I'll go back to shaving everyday just so I can enjoy the ritual and quality "me-time". :biggrin1:

I feel it won't be long before I become afflicted with AD (razors, brushes, and other shaving paraphernalia). All ready I have plans to turn the bathroom into a man cave shave den. I feel I'm off to a good start with two razors, two brushes, and various soaps and creams.

Egads, it's started all ready. :tongue_sm

Welcome to B&B. It looks like you are off to an excellent start. One question, though. You said you used to have to shave every day, but now you only shave every second or third day. Why is that?

Welcome to B&B. It looks like you are off to an excellent start. One question, though. You said you used to have to shave every day, but now you only shave every second or third day. Why is that?

I was never able to achieve a BBS shave with the cartridge type razors. No matter what I did, I had 5 o'clock shadow at 10 o'clock in the morning.
Since I switched to the DE razor, for some reason, the 5 o'clock shadow doesn't kick in for a day or two.
Go figure :001_smile
I think it's because shaving with the DE razor gives a much better and closer shave than before.

Top Bottom