What's new

Fountain Pens

Howdy all,

Recently I was in a staintionary shop and had a chance to try out some fountain pens.

I must admit I find them very fluid and would like to get one.

I figured I would ask the more experienced fountain pen users here for a good but not too expensive one. I am located in Toronto Canada so if anyone in the area knows a good shop I'll be more than happy to visit it.

Thanks for your time,

Basil

It may be helpful if you have a price range in mind. What falls under 'not too expensive?' $30? $50? $100?

A pen that's often recommended and still cheap is the Lamy Safari. I got one together with the smallest calligraphy nib and it's a pleasure to write with. I've gotten several remarks on how nice my handwriting looks after getting this pen :thumbup:

There are some very nice pens in that price range. The Safari is nice, and you can get one for $30 or so.

For a little more, probably pretty close to $100CDN, a Pelikan 200 is a great pen. They're pretty small, so if you can go to a store to try one do it if you have large hands. They are piston filled, so you can't use cartridges, only bottled ink, but hey, bottled ink is great.

Pelikans run a bit wide, so a fine will be a pretty broad wet fine, and the medium on the broad side. They have an extra fine now, so if you like fine get that. Pelikan also has very good customer service. I've only heard about the US service, but if there is a problem, or even if you'd rather have a different nib, they'll take it back and fix or exchange it. I believe a company called "Chartpak" does the US service, don't know about Canada.

Pelikan = German engineering, blah blah blah. Nice pens.

Pilot in Japan makes nice pens as well--I like the Vanishing Point, which tucks the nib into a recess and you click it like a ball point to make it come out (so one-handed operation, nice). It's around $100 US, maybe a bit more. This one you'd need to try since it has a funny placement on the clip and some people don't like it. Japanese pens tend to run fine. An extra-fine Japanese pen will be a real needlepoint. [the Pilot 78G is a great, very low-priced pen that is light and cheap but a solid performer--seriously you won't believe it's that good for $20 or less]

Here's a sleeper pen that I've heard is good though I've never used one: Sailor Procolor. It's got the same nib as other Sailor (a very well-regarded Japanese pen company) pens, but minimal in the way of bling on the body to keep the price down. Look on eBay and you'll see them go for $40-50US plus $13 shipping direct from Japan.

There are some very nice pens in that price range. The Safari is nice, and you can get one for $30 or so.

For a little more, probably pretty close to $100CDN, a Pelikan 200 is a great pen. They're pretty small, so if you can go to a store to try one do it if you have large hands. They are piston filled, so you can't use cartridges, only bottled ink, but hey, bottled ink is great.

Pelikans run a bit wide, so a fine will be a pretty broad wet fine, and the medium on the broad side. They have an extra fine now, so if you like fine get that. Pelikan also has very good customer service. I've only heard about the US service, but if there is a problem, or even if you'd rather have a different nib, they'll take it back and fix or exchange it. I believe a company called "Chartpak" does the US service, don't know about Canada.

Pelikan = German engineering, blah blah blah. Nice pens.

Pilot in Japan makes nice pens as well--I like the Vanishing Point, which tucks the nib into a recess and you click it like a ball point to make it come out (so one-handed operation, nice). It's around $100 US, maybe a bit more. This one you'd need to try since it has a funny placement on the clip and some people don't like it. Japanese pens tend to run fine. An extra-fine Japanese pen will be a real needlepoint. [the Pilot 78G is a great, very low-priced pen that is light and cheap but a solid performer--seriously you won't believe it's that good for $20 or less]

Here's a sleeper pen that I've heard is good though I've never used one: Sailor Procolor. It's got the same nib as other Sailor (a very well-regarded Japanese pen company) pens, but minimal in the way of bling on the body to keep the price down. Look on eBay and you'll see them go for $40-50US plus $13 shipping direct from Japan.

Good advice.

The Pelikan certainly will not disappoint.
Great pens.

Have a 1000 and 1 300 myself - love 'm!

Howdy all,

Recently I was in a staintionary shop and had a chance to try out some fountain pens.

I must admit I find them very fluid and would like to get one.

I figured I would ask the more experienced fountain pen users here for a good but not too expensive one. I am located in Toronto Canada so if anyone in the area knows a good shop I'll be more than happy to visit it.

Thanks for your time,

Basil

Hi Basil,

My favourite pen shops in Toronto are Laywines up in Yorkville and B. Sleuth and Statesman down at King and Bay in the First Canadian Place/Exchange Tower complex. S&S also sell shaving supplies but are only open Monday to Friday for the Bay St. crowd.

As for your first pen, I would go with either a Lamy Safari or Waterman Philias if you're looking for something on a budget. Now if you want to spend some money, have a look at the Pelikan M400 to M800 series pens along with the Sailor's 1911 and Professional Gear.

Cheers

Bill

Last edited:
Went to a store today and tried out a few pens.

Most were out of my price range but I bought a Lamy Studio pen with a medium nib. It flowed nice and it came with a converter so I can use bottled ink.

Now my next question I which ink can I use that won't flow too wet. I do a lot of writing in moleskine notebooks and I don't want it to bleed through.

Went to a store today and tried out a few pens.

Most were out of my price range but I bought a Lamy Studio pen with a medium nib. It flowed nice and it came with a converter so I can use bottled ink.

Now my next question I which ink can I use that won't flow too wet. I do a lot of writing in moleskine notebooks and I don't want it to bleed through.

I am a FP noob but I have found Pelikan fairly dry.

Another Lamy Safari recommendation. Also Parker has a very nice simple silver fp that complements their entry priced Jotter ballpoint. These two pens are well under your $50 - $100 price.

The Lamy nibs can be changed from ultra-fine to medium. You can go thicker depending on what you need it for up to broad. It comes standard in the medium. To get the fine nib I had to pay about $30. You may be able to negotiate yours to come with the nib you choose. Keep this in mind when you buy, try the nibs out. It'll save you $30.

You will usually need to also get a converter if you want to avoid having to buy refills all the time. So about $10 - $15 for that plus a bottle of nice ink about $15 - $35 and your on your way.

I enjoy writing with a fountain pen and can say it has given me an interest in improving my writing. Don't get to do it too often with so many electronic gadgets around.

- Aaron

I find that there isn't a whole lot of ink that won't bleed through my Moleskine book. The paper is too thin and absorbent.

I find that there isn't a whole lot of ink that won't bleed through my Moleskine book. The paper is too thin and absorbent.

So far today I've written about 10 pages in my book and no bleed through right now. On the other hand the writing does look a bit thicker than I remember in the store.

Just to go against the grain, I'm going to recommend looking into vintage pens. In general, I think they are the best bang for your buck. Unfortunately, you cannot try them before you buy them unless you are at a show or something. But, in most cases they are engineered so much better than modern pens that it won't matter. And, if you decide you don't like it, you can probably sell it for about what you paid for it.

As someone else recommended, check out fountainpennetwork.

Legion

Staff member
I don't think any of my Parker 51's cost more than $100. If you want vintage they are great. And pretty bullet poof too, if you get a aeromatic model.

Top Bottom