What's new

My butterscotch arrived yesterday !!

and I am thrilled.

I think I am going to leave it alone and just put him on display or perhaps give him a test drive as is.

In one of the pictures there is a small spot of what looks like dried blood.

I'm pretty sure it's not blood but I am debating trying to get it off. It is raised a tiny bit above the surface, enough so that a fingernail can catch on it.

I tried gently prying at it with my nail, then stopped when nothing seemed to happen.

Other than that, it's spotless.

What to do, should I continue to worry about the small spot or try and get it off ?

Really nice! I'd be tempted to re-knot it though, because it looks like a really useful handle shape. As for the spot, I think it would eventually bug me - but if you do pick it off, be prepared for a lighter spot underneath.

The spot would not bug me too much, its a beauty mark in my eyes. Kind of like Cindy Crafords mole. Yes technically its an imperfection, but you appreciate the overall appearance it that much more for it.

I would re-knot it and use it.

I would NOT attempt to remove that spot. As you have correctly surmised, it is NOT blood. I think removing it would cause a worse-looking spot.

Beautiful handle. I would re-knot if it were mine. I'd probably try to remove the spot too but I defer to what others with more experience say about that.

Yeah, I am going to leave the spot alone.

I sent off an e-mail to Rudy Vey to see what he thinks.

The "in-place" knot measures 20~22mm and the handle length is 54mm.

It's really comfortable to hold and I asked Rudy to spec a knot to be used for face lathering.

Hmmm, if it had a short loft for face lathering, would it look bottom heavy ?

Also, I have a bunch of TGN reknotted brushes and wondered if Rudy had access to Shavemac knots.

I seem to remember seeing a post to that effect before.

This is exciting.

It's really comfortable to hold and I asked Rudy to spec a knot to be used for face lathering.

Hmmm, if it had a short loft for face lathering, would it look bottom heavy ?

Also, I have a bunch of TGN reknotted brushes and wondered if Rudy had access to Shavemac knots.

Yes Rudy can get Shavemac knots, he has several examples posted on his vendor page.

The Shavemac knot would be top notch, but the 22mm TGN Finest or 22mm TGN Super Silvertip are both excellent choices if you set the loft at 44~48mm.

I just did a massive (Chubby 3 size) Rudy Vey Eagle type handle with a 24mm Finest set at 50mm, and to be honest I kind of like the bottom heavy look. It lets you know its a serious face lather brush.

Whatever knot you pick, I think a two band would look amazing pared with the deep butterscotch of your handle.

Yes Rudy can get Shavemac knots, he has several examples posted on his vendor page.

The Shavemac knot would be top notch, but the 22mm TGN Finest or 22mm TGN Super Silvertip are both excellent choices if you set the loft at 44~48mm.

I just did a massive (Chubby 3 size) Rudy Vey Eagle type handle with a 24mm Finest set at 50mm, and to be honest I kind of like the bottom heavy look. It lets you know its a serious face lather brush.

Whatever knot you pick, I think a two band would look amazing pared with the deep butterscotch of your handle.

Thank you Loric, I see what you mean.

Re the blue, glass jar, you say that you set it at 48mm then pulled it out and reset it to 44. Is that loft that you prefer for face lathering ?
Beautiful brushes by the way.

Very nice handle.

I would definately reknot it with a GN Finest (or have Rudy do that). As to the spot, it cannot be blood if you cannot scrape it off. Looks more like a resin of some kind. I would likely remove it.

Really a nice shape.

Top Bottom