What's new

Traveling with safety razor

Hello all
I have a quick question. My wife and I are planning a trip that necessitates us taking a plane, normally I would just throw my mach3 into my carry on and think anything of it. But now that I've started wet shaving and the TSA being what it is, I am concerned that they might loose it when they x-ray my carry on and see a pack of razor blades. I know I could just throw then into my checked bags, but I have had some miserable luck with bags getting lost in the the past. Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.

I's take the Mach3...double-edged blades are banned in carry-ons.

You could carry your bladeless razor in the carry-on and the blades in your checked bag, but you still may get a delay if they make you take out the razor and disassemble it to show there are no blades. TSA people are not exactly the intellectual elite and may still freak out at the razor itself. I try not to carry anything I can't afford to have them steal/seize because it's shiny or unusual.

I carry my Atra and enjoy the change...and then enjoy getting back to my real razors even more afterwards!

I agree with jansob, unless you are away for weeks and weeks, I'd just take a cartridge razor and grin and bear it

As he said.:001_smile It does come up very frequently because it's a frequent concern.

FWIW, the TSA people who have searched my carry on and found a DE razor, did understand what it was, and let it through when they saw there were no blades with it. As for the blades, put them in checked luggage and pay extra if you have to, mail some ahead, or hope you'll be able to buy adequate ones when you get there (and mail the surplus back). I've been reading that WalMarts carry a decent brand of blade.

Or bring a cartridge.

Leave your good razors at home and buy a couple disposables wherever you end up.If they see your DE razor on x-ray, it'll delay you sooooo much while they do the blade search, it's probably not worth bringing it.

I agree with the disposables idea, but if you just have to use a DE, buy one of the cheap plastic "click" type DEs. They are dirt cheap, so you can stash one in the checked baggage without fear of losing investment. Blades are cheap enough to not worry, and you can always pack a couple of disposables for backup.

DE and SE razors present a few problems if you travel carry-on only (which I generally do, especially on business trips) but I can live with cartridges for a few days to avoid checking bags and delays at security. I still pack a brush and a shave stick, though; there's no sense in completely abandoning the comforts of home.

I have to admit, I hadn't thought about the plastic DE option, which I could certainly do when I'm traveling for pleasure instead of business. I should order one so that I can take it with me on my next vacation (I'll still be taking only one carry-on bag though); I know I'll be able to pick up blades where I'm going.

Thank you all for your advice, I think I'll just take a fatboy that I was going to have replated and toss it into the carry on, and put a box of blades in each of our checked bages and hope the shaving gods are with me and things work out. Again thank you all for your help.

Cheers!

Top Bottom