What's new

Tonsil stone/tonsillolith maintenance

This is the grossest thread I have read here. I get them occasionaly, I call them throat boogers. About 2 years ago I was getting them all the time. Now not so much, not sure what changed. The cavities in the back of my throat are fairly large.

Some people would disagree that this is the grossest thread. Anything with Williams might be more gross. Others would say Arko (I wouldn't).

Having helped perform thousands of tonsillectomies, I've seen my fair share of "throat boogers"! Tonsils usually become cryptic after infections. Little pieces of food build up in these crypts & ferment. That's where that lovely smell comes from! Sometimes this build up can become infected by the bacteria that's feeding off the food & cause pain. When you give a good cough and dislodge the right "booger", sometimes that will help with the inflammation.
Please be careful with what you stick back there. The tonsils are very vascular & will bleed like mad if you hit it just right. If you do need a tonsillectomy as an adult, recovery is much worse that it is for a child. Kids seem to bounce back easily, but adults are usually miserable for several days.
I think a warm salt water gargle to help dislodge the debris followed up with an anti-bacterial gargle would be the way to go to help keep the boogers at bay.

I don't know if this is snake oil or not, but TheraBreath claims that they have the cure or, at least a preventative. Their mouthwash and lozenges are sold in the oral care aisles of Walgreens and CVS.
TheraBreath claims that their lozenges produce oxygen while dissolving and that oxygen prevents certain bacteria growth which in turn, prevents the growth of tonsil stones.
I take a lozenge just before bed and they certainly help prevent dry mouth while sleeping. I can't personally say if their products do what they claim about preventing tonsil stones, but they may be worth a try.
http://www.therabreath.com

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
holy smokes this is the most interesting thing i've read today. My tonsils were removed when I was just a youngin.

Resurecting this thread.. I just pulled out the second of these from my throat in the past 4 months.
When they get large enough they almost feel like food caught in your throat, when you swallow you feel feel something is stuck.
I used a cotton swab and pushed on the soft spot before my tonsil and that pushed out the stone some, but i had tho try to get it loose with another swab.
I don't like these things, what's the best preventative? I drink plenty of water, brush everyday. I don't use Listerine as the dentist recommends against using it.
But man i don't want anymore.

Anyone else suffer with these suckers?

I do! I haven't found a good preventative yet. Water helps a bit, but what I find is if I have a small cold, or if I'm getting sick, that's when they're the worst (which makes sense, tonsils are essentially lymph nodes). I see them in patients occasionally (I'm a dentist) and I haven't been able to come up with a reason for why they come when they do.
Although, I'm gonna go consult my textbooks and see if I can find anything better...

"The contents of the invaginations often become compacted and form a mass of foul-smelling material known as a tonsillar concretion. Occasionally, the condensed necrotic debris and bacteria undergo dystrophic calcification and form a tonsillolith. Recurrent tonsillar inflammation may promote the development of these tonsillar concretions. (Neville 185)"

Neville, Brad. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 3rd Edition. W.B. Saunders Company, 2008. VitalBook file.

Gargling with some peroxide mouth rinse will keep the anaerobic (oxygen is bad for) bacteria in check. But, it will also kill off the normal bacteria (normal flora) that is supposed to be there so it's a trade off.

This truly is gross. I can clean a gut shot deer and not be as grossed out as this. Now I'm looking in my throat hourly.....

These things are definitely nasty! I get smaller ones a couple times a year, but have seriously bad breath a lot of times and contribute some of it to this. I use Smart Mouth every morning and that seems to help. Has anyone tried TheraBreath? I'm thinking of giving that a shot too. AS for tools, I've used toothpicks in the past, but like the GUM stimulator that Jones2289 posted.

I also experience these horrible tonsil rocks. Sounds as though it's more common than I was led to believe.
I've discovered that eating anything with artificial sweeteners in it causes them to occur more often. I used to chew sugar free gum and drink drink energy drinks that didn't have surgery all the time and had to deal with these little buggers all the time. Not that I avoid those things,I don't have to bother with them as often. B6 the way, cotton swabs/q-tips work well for removal.

Well pulled out another one:
$IMG_20170202_191307747.jpg
$IMG_20170202_191320631.jpg

It's weird, they look white on your throat but grey when out of mouth.
Disgusting little suckers.

Top Bottom