What's new

Gillette Identification/Cleaning Help.

Hello Gents,
I came upon an old Gillette razor in an antique store nearby for a fairly good price however I am new to all this so I am having difficulty in identifying it.
The stamp under the head reads "D3".

I think it could either be a Fatboy or a SuperSlim, as it's adjustable.
It's in fairly good condition except for minor soap scum under/in/on the head - what is the safest and best way of cleaning this?

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's a later version called an Aristocrat which is the Gold version of the Slim Adjustable.
It was made in the third quarter of 1958.
Nice find. Many folks love the shave they deliver.

As far as cleaning goes, soak it in scrubbing bubbles for a bit and gently clean it with a toothbrush and some dish detergent.

A rinse in clean water and if you like, some alcohol, and you're good to go.

Thank you so very much for your help!

I've given it a clean in some hot soapy water and cleaned with a toothbrush just now with good results. However there is some green spotting on the head still. Is this corrosion?
How do I clean/remove this? See photo for reference.

proxy.php

Once again, many thanks.

Your razor looks to be a Gillette Executive. That is the gold plated version of the Fatboy. The first production year of the Slim was 1961. Nice find.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Vitaman is correct, I made an error and looked at length instead of the knurling. Good catch!
You can try to gently buff the doors with a soft cloth and some Blue Magic metal polish (available at Autozone and other car parts stores) but be very gentle because the gold plating on these are very thin, and too much polishing will wear through the plating.

An old toothbrush and Colgate toothpaste.
If the finish isn't smooth you might want to
try adding prophy paste to help even it out.

Once again, thank you!
This community is surely unlike any other I've witnessed. I am constantly in awe of how folks are always so quick to help.

Pardon me if I am proving everybody wrong.......

And I am not pessimistic !!!!

Try to live with those marks on the head.....

THEY WILL NOT GO.

Re plate is your only answer.....

Believe me !!!!!

Vijay

I agree w/ Vijay. Your best bet is to clean it with a good soaking in barbicide and polish lightly, use for many years or get it replated.

Thanks again!
I've not tried to buff out these marks yet, but I may just leave them as is and use it as a daily shaver.
I appreciate everyone's comments!

Your going to use it like that?

Prophy paste is pumice based. It's more abrasive than
toothpaste. I got some from my dentist and used it to
smooth out the finish on chrome a razor. It cleaned up
nicely. I'm not sure how effective it would be on a gold
plated finish. It might be worth a shot.

Top Bottom