What's new

Heavy beard differences?

When doing the pre-shave of shower, lather, hot towel, lather, shave - is there anything that should be added or helpful to those of us with heavy beards? I can shave around 8.00 AM and by 9.30 I'll have 5 o'clock shadow (though it doesn't feel that rough).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you just started shaving, practice. It will get better. Eventually, you can think of buying a more aggressive razor if you don't feel that your current razor is close enough.

I assume that you mean 9:30AM...i.e., 1.5 hrs after shaving, right?

If that is the case, you are not getting a "complete" shave. I have a relatively heavy beard as well, but my 5 o' clock doesn't show until ~evening time.

Done properly, you should be able to get DFS or BBS that lasts awhile longer than 1.5 hrs.

More details on technique will help

An open comb razor with a good, sharp blade will help you. As others have said technique is key. Post more about your gear and routine (how many passes, direction, etc)... I'm sure someone can help with some advice.

I have the same problem as you if I shave too soon after I wake up. Your beard starts growing more rapidly about one or two hours after you wake up and if you shave before that time your shadow will come earlier.

I typically shave in the evening - though I have to shave around 7.30 AM on Sundays for work. I'm usually up for a few hours before I shave. I have found the problem occurs both in the mornign and in the evening. After the prep and lather on face I go WTG followed by a hot washcloth on the face an clean up- second pass is XTG. If I go beyond that I run into problems with irritation and a little bleeding. I follow up with hot water/coldwater/thayers.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I typically shave in the evening - though I have to shave around 7.30 AM on Sundays for work. I'm usually up for a few hours before I shave. I have found the problem occurs both in the mornign and in the evening. After the prep and lather on face I go WTG followed by a hot washcloth on the face an clean up- second pass is XTG. If I go beyond that I run into problems with irritation and a little bleeding. I follow up with hot water/coldwater/thayers.

I would skip the hot washcloth after your WTG pass.

How do you prep shave? What do you do?

For your lather, does it glide? Does it have bubbles? Is it foamy?

My prep is hot shower or face soak, followed by lather - which to me seems like whipped cream- lots of it, no big bubbles, not runny but close cohesion small bubbles much like eggwhites in a stiff peak state. I lather the face and put a hot towel on for a minute. After hot towel- re-lather and shave WTG. I have not used an actual pre-shave product.

if you are only going WTG then i doubt much will change. A second and third pass of across then against the grain is whats needed to get an all day shave. You need to take time and perhaps have a try of some pre shave prep like proraso cream...it works for me rather well and a must do now.

I would skip the hot towel after you start shaving. It can irritate your skin and make it hard to get a close shave after that point.

Your lather sounds good, what kind of soap are you using? Have you tried any other types?

How often are you changing blades?

I'm a big witch hazel advocate. Try using it before and after every pass (don't do it twice between passes).

I would skip the hot towel after you start shaving...I'm a big witch hazel advocate. Try using it before and after every pass (don't do it twice between passes).

Not trying to be dense here, but I assume wash off the remaining lather with a splash of warmish water and then the witch hazel before next lathering?

Not trying to be dense here, but I assume wash off the remaining lather with a splash of warmish water and then the witch hazel before next lathering?

No... just do each pass with latering in between, then when you are done and rinse your face, then you splash some witch hazel on it, like you would an aftershave. It will sting for a second, then your face will feel cool and the redness will go away.

Don't get me wrong though, the witch hazel is no substitute for good lather, a good razor and blades, and good technique. All these things will help you though.

I just wanted to say thanks! Using lukewarm water and lather without any hot towel - plus WH inbetwen passes made a huge difference.. Though I have decided to order a straight razor start up package anyways.. I guess I'm whole hog addicted now.

Congrats! I'm glad it made a difference for you. People told me I was crazy when I mentioned it, but the bottom line is DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

Happy shaves. And a word from one who's goofed - be gentle when stropping your straight.

Top Bottom