What's new

After using the Merkur Futur for over a year I need advice

Been using this thing for over a year now, followed tips on here and there and brings me to this long explanation that will lead to a question: promise so please read it. Keep in mind I am now strictly using a Merkur Futur with Merkur blades but open to other suggestions.
After a ton of trial and error and getting hamburger face I was doing the following for awhile: Merkur Futur with Merkur blades with the grain and Gillette Mach3 against the grain. With the Merkur blades one week per side and originally two weeks with the Gillette Mach3 strictly for against the grain.
Then after I got tired of spending $$$ for Gillette prices so got the knock-off brands and quite frankly they are just as good, but call me Mr. Green it really bugged me how much plastic I am wasting when I can just expose a single metal blade, which I would also like to recycle but it's the better or two evils.
So for awhile I was doing one-side with the grain and the other side against the grain and changing the blade on a weekly basis. This is cost effective and much better for the environment and also it works. However, what I notice is going against the grain with my Merkur Futur it takes a lot more passes and constant feeling against the grain to get the result I want. So for right now till I find a better solution, I am doing strictly with the grain, but I really don't like doing just that for the simple fact I really like that super smooth feel I get when I go against the grain.
However, the fact is it's becoming time consuming and annoying to go against the grain with the Merkur Futur but I don't want to use the cheap models like Gillette and what not for it's so much plastic that I know I can avoid. I did buy the butterfly model but gave it to a friend that mentioned how his father used to own one, so I thought he could use and appreciate it. So still just own the Merkur Futur.
If you are still reading this I thank you; and here is more. I also notice on my Merkur Futur and not sure if this is how it's supposed to be, if it's set to #1 it looks perfect on the 1 side, but on the 6 side it looks crooked. So I went a tad aggressive and went #2 setting. I found it's perfect on the 2 side but less gap on the 5 side. I am NOT going back to #3 setting for with my face that equals to a TON of cuts.
So on with the questions after hearing all of this:
1. Do you find you get the same results as I am if you use strictly the Merkur Futur with it takes several tries, angles and what not to get all the hairs against the grain?
2. Do you find based on my description of the #1 and #2 setting if you observe it do you see the same thing as I?
3. Do you think there is a model more suited on what I am going for? I am only into Safety razors, I don’t have the guts to go with a straight.
Thanks for reading this and looking forward on reading the replies.

The gap should not be uneven, regardless of the setting.

You should be able to get a very close shave without going against the grain at all; one pass with the grain then one pass across the grain with touch-ups of the tough spots should do the trick.

Kingfisher,
If you go with the grain, and then using your fingers to slide against the grain do you feel stubs?

after I adjust my futur, I do find that sometimes the gap is uneven but if I give it a gentle upwards pull (not hard enough to pull off the cap), it sets everything back in place.

I greatly appreciate all the quick comments so far. So I will try Kermits suggestions about adjust the cap, but even though I do that and it fixes the gap, what about if I still find what Kingfish says not true for me, what would you recommend then?

Fingerguy, without getting to complicated you fail to mention any prep or lathering techniques employed. Could have something to do with your results. Personally I am not familiar with your razor, but if you are not getting good results you may want to try a cheap Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed. Very good razors that offer great results. Again your prep is important. Good luck.

Fingerguy, without getting to complicated you fail to mention any prep or lathering techniques employed. Could have something to do with your results. Personally I am not familiar with your razor, but if you are not getting good results you may want to try a cheap Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed. Very good razors that offer great results. Again your prep is important. Good luck.

I never understood how lathering helps or not helps with the shave. But my lathering is the lazy route, in the shower, with the jell stuff (name escapes me). What do you suggest?

I never understood how lathering helps or not helps with the shave. But my lathering is the lazy route, in the shower, with the jell stuff (name escapes me). What do you suggest?

It's like priming a wall before you paint - the pre-shave shave prep is wayyyy more important than the razor you use to shave with. And yes, shave gel is a lousy product that won't adequately prepare your skin for a sharp blade scraping over it.

Check out the tutorials here and give a real soap/cream a chance. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference that makes.

It's like priming a wall before you paint - the pre-shave shave prep is wayyyy more important than the razor you use to shave with. And yes, shave gel is a lousy product that won't adequately prepare your skin for a sharp blade scraping over it.

Check out the tutorials here and give a real soap/cream a chance. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference that makes.

+1 good prep and good lather will prep your skin and soften the whiskers. Also some different blades might help. Have you tried any others? While any blade should cut hair, some are sharper and smoother resulting in a better shave. The merkur blades aren't ranked very high by most around here.

No haven't tried any other blades. I just figured since Merkur makes a safety razor that everyone here seems to love that they also make a nice blade, and for the most part the blade is doing the job. Well when I am out of the jell stuff I will switch but in the meantime I will see if I can self repair the alignment/gap issue.

Thanks Everyone.

If you want PM me your shipping details and I'll send you a small variety of blades. You will be surprised at the difference a blade can make.

+1 good prep and good lather will prep your skin and soften the whiskers. Also some different blades might help. Have you tried any others? While any blade should cut hair, some are sharper and smoother resulting in a better shave. The merkur blades aren't ranked very high by most around here.

+1. I find that the Merker blades are my least favorite in the Futur. Derby's and Feathers are my blade of choice. There is a great sampler pack that can be found on here by doing a quick search for a pretty fair price. I'd suggest starting with that. You will surely see the difference in blades, and find one that best suits you.

Make sure when you take your Futur apart and put it back together that on the lowest setting the blade support mechanism fits flush against the bottom of the head. I believe it is not supposed to matter which direction you place the blade support mechanism, but on my two Futurs it does. When re-assembled in one direction, I have a gap on both sides when on its lowest setting that is equivalent to a setting of 4 (like side A in the link). In the other direction, it sits flush (like side B in the link) in both directions.

eric.

Last edited:
Kingfisher,
If you go with the grain, and then using your fingers to slide against the grain do you feel stubs?

Yes, of course.

but after you go across the grain, too, the face is quite smooth. If you run your fingers directly AGAINST the grain you would still feel stubble but who cares? The shave is close and comfortable.

Well when I am out of the jell stuff I will switch but in the meantime.

For the sake of your face, please throw that stuff out and get a real cream today. You'll thank me for it!

Are you in the US? If so, you can get cheap quality creams from the Body Shop (Maca Root), Rite Aid (Real Shaving Co), Bath and Body Works (CO Bigelow) or most health food stores (Kiss My Face). They can all be used with or without brush, and you'll notice the difference within 2 shaves, guaranteed.

We gotta help that gel problem. PM me an address and I will get you a couple samples you can finger lather in the shower. The Body Shop Maca Root & The Real Shaving Co Classic Sensitive. I use both regularly in the shower with no brush and they work great! Also when shower shaving make sure you shave at the end when the hairs are soft.

Jay

Yes, of course.

but after you go across the grain, too, the face is quite smooth. If you run your fingers directly AGAINST the grain you would still feel stubble but who cares? The shave is close and comfortable.

I care, but I think that is my OCD kicking in. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom