What's new

Which way do you swirl your brush while loading it? Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Which way do you swirl your brush? Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

• Clockwise

• Counter-clockwise

• I'm not sure. I don't pay attention.

• Art swirls in all directions simultaneously

Results are only viewable after voting.
Does it really matter? The brush loads either way

Now, if you question pertains to finding out the number of individuals here that are blessed by nature of their genes to be right- versus left-handed, then that's an entirely different matter altogether...rather cool topic :thumbup1:

PS: Being in the south or north won't make a difference what direction YOU swirl the brush. That concepts is one that is untrue and has been brought up in context of fluid flow...it's called the "Coriolis Force", which determines which direction water spirals down drains. For example, the thinking was that if you flush a toilette in the northern hemisphere, the flow will be counter clockwise and the opposite when you are in the southern hemisphere. This is untrue...that flow is determined by outside forces (shape of bowl, how level it is, etc...).

Now, if that was true, at the equator, you would never get to effectively flush anything down the toilette :lol:.

It's a just-for-fun poll. That's all.

I'm interested in the answers so far, though. A lot of you counter-clockwisers have stated that you do it that way because you're southpaws. I'm right handed and I swirl counter-clockwise.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I see that nobody is ever going to click on my thread about this.

Worst. Post. Ever. :tongue_sm

I do both.

It seems to make the brush load faster to swirl it one way then switch directions. When you switch directions you can feel the brush "stick" to the puck or have more resistance.

The extra resistance to the brush supposedly means that the brush is picking up more soap. I'm pretty sure I read that in a tutorial somewhere but I read 83882750235 tutorials when I started so I have no idea which one.

Well, damn you sir, damn, I say!

Here I had been happily building great lather with not a care in the world, able to coax those copious clouds of soapy goodness at will, after cresting a somewhat rocky learning curve.

Then I read this post from the devil.

Tonight, I approached my Old Spice mug, with it's dwindling puck of Tabac, and after my usual prep, I picked up my humble yet lovable, Tweezerman.

I stopped. What way should I swirl my brush? What way had I always done it? What?

Damn, damn, damn. This should be easy, and now...paralysis by analysis.

I came back here to see what way I should be swirling, being a right handed shaver and all. No consensus.

I clicked on the link that Ouch provided and read all about the Toyota Corolla effect, or something like that having to do with your grid location and how to use the Force to swirl. I read it again, and I came away more confused than ever, and with thirty percent less brain cells than when I discovered this thread.

I then tried to make it basic, and put the mug on the bathroom floor and tried walking around it, clockwise and counterclockwise, while holding my brush just over the mug. I went faster, and tried to decide what way worked best. I started making frustrated noises. My wife opened the door and wanted to know why in blue blazes was I doing a Curly impression in my bathrobe.

Now, because of this just-for-fun poll, I'm reduced to a drooling, simpering non lathering shell of my former confident self, a shaver that used to swirl with conviction, and now I'm having crazy thoughts of aerosol cans and iridescent blue gels, the crystal meth of the lather world that requires no directional swirling decisions, just the seductive hiss while that ersatz foam grows like the Blob in my palm....

No, no no! I'll get clean and read Jim's tutorial and go back to the basics...It's a VDH brush and Williams for me until I get my swirling groove back. Get thee behind me, you canned Satan!

Waitaminnit. Clockwise. :blink:

Never mind.

Well, damn you sir, damn, I say!

Here I had been happily building great lather with not a care in the world, able to coax those copious clouds of soapy goodness at will, after cresting a somewhat rocky learning curve.

Then I read this post from the devil.

Tonight, I approached my Old Spice mug, with it's dwindling puck of Tabac, and after my usual prep, I picked up my humble yet lovable, Tweezerman.

I stopped. What way should I swirl my brush? What way had I always done it? What?

Damn, damn, damn. This should be easy, and now...paralysis by analysis.

I came back here to see what way I should be swirling, being a right handed shaver and all. No consensus.

I clicked on the link that Ouch provided and read all about the Toyota Corolla effect, or something like that having to do with your grid location and how to use the Force to swirl. I read it again, and I came away more confused than ever, and with thirty percent less brain cells than when I discovered this thread.

I then tried to make it basic, and put the mug on the bathroom floor and tried walking around it, clockwise and counterclockwise, while holding my brush just over the mug. I went faster, and tried to decide what way worked best. I started making frustrated noises. My wife opened the door and wanted to know why in blue blazes was I doing a Curly impression in my bathrobe.

Now, because of this just-for-fun poll, I'm reduced to a drooling, simpering non lathering shell of my former confident self, a shaver that used to swirl with conviction, and now I'm having crazy thoughts of aerosol cans and iridescent blue gels, the crystal meth of the lather world that requires no directional swirling decisions, just the seductive hiss while that ersatz foam grows like the Blob in my palm....

No, no no! I'll get clean and read Jim's tutorial and go back to the basics...It's a VDH brush and Williams for me until I get my swirling groove back. Get thee behind me, you canned Satan!

Waitaminnit. Clockwise. :blink:

Never mind.

We really need to take all of your posts, put them together in a book and have it published.

Seriously. :laugh:

By DE fault that would be counter clockwise.

Only relative to the brush. If you consider the turntable's point of view the brush is rotating anticlockwise. Isn't this fun?

For the record, I didn't vote because I swirl across the puck. This way loads both sides of the brush and reduces spinning of a loose puck in an overlarge container (as the actress said to the bishop...)

Top Bottom