What's new

My Resto's---Will be updated frequently

I am in the exact same boat as you ^ Mr Pseudo. Is it hard to make your own brushes?

not too hard just some basic mechanical skills. All I really use is some scissors, sand paper, small hand chissel, screw driver, and epoxys. alot cheaper too

proxy.php

Thanks for this thread. I've got a slew (if 5 counts as 'a slew') of vintage brushes to pick up from the PO tomorrow, and will probably have to restore at least 3 of them. Nice so see someone else having success as a newbie to the skill.

Thanks for this thread. I've got a slew (if 5 counts as 'a slew') of vintage brushes to pick up from the PO tomorrow, and will probably have to restore at least 3 of them. Nice so see someone else having success as a newbie to the skill.

best of luck in refinishing them. be sure to snap some pics and make a thread.

I am in the exact same boat as you ^ Mr Pseudo. Is it hard to make your own brushes?

I would suggest that you start on a brush that you don't care for so much.

You're liable to scratch or chip it quite a bit until you get your technique down.

I found a Dremel tool to be invaluable.

I would suggest that you start on a brush that you don't care for so much.

You're liable to scratch or chip it quite a bit until you get your technique down.

I found a Dremel tool to be invaluable.

I consider myself a master with a dremel but I tried it on a brush and thought I was going to tear it up so I do everything by hand.

So heres a little update. Havent finished any brushes yet but my SBAD is still going strong. I have picked up 3 more brushes off ebay. The purple and cream one arrived the other day and doesnt look to be in too bad shape. I will snap some pics when the other 2 arrive. The next one that is on its way is a green and black ever ready. Then a greenmarble and black rubberset. When these 2 arrive I will snap pics of all 3. Below are just the ebay pics so they arent too good. I also have some Queen Charlotte soap on its way. and some Godj delux coming that I traded my Omega 10066 boar for.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Three more knots ordered today. A 20mm Finest Badger Fan Shape, 22mm Pure Badger Hair Knot, and 22mm Black Badger. The two 22mm will be going into handles for my brother and dad. The 20mm fan shape will be going into the green Ever-Ready below. I got the old knot removed out the green ER and the handle is apart. I sanded it all down starting with 300grit down to 1000 grit. The green really pops out now. Sorry for no updated pics yet. Still waiting for the Green Rubberset to* show up then I will snap some pics. On the first page there is the small wooden handle with the black rubberset on it. That has been sanded and stained a darker color. The cream and purple one is being a pain trying to remove the old knot. May have a lil photo shoot tonight if the Green one comes in.

Nice updates! I will be trying my hand at a restore here soon, thanks to a generous PIF of a handle. I had bought a 21mm UK super badger knot a few months ago thinking I would turn my own handle, but it looks like a restore is more plausible right now.

As promised more pictures.

All 3
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Ever-Ready. almost done just some fine sanding
proxy.php

Now the Rubberset still needs alot more work to it but it has made a huge improvement. went from
proxy.php

to this
proxy.php

proxy.php

I will probably not sand the bottom too much more because the writing is starting to come out but it is turning into a real beauty

The latest brush completed. got a 20mm fan shaped 2band knot. Have 2 others completed but after uploading the pictures the other pics didnt come out too well..
proxy.php

Another Everready 22mm black badger This one is going to my brother for christmas.
proxy.php

the line up..
proxy.php

VDH sent me a replacement boar. only used it twice.. the second is a fuller handle put a lil too much epoxy in it but o well its one of my personal brush and one of my favorites. it got a 22mm pure knot. 3rd is shea moisture nothing special. 4th is a made-rite with silvertip. cant remember if it was 20 or 22. and last it my green ever ready. this thing is starting to come into its prime now afer about a month of hard use. I set the loft at 44. 20mm 2 band fan shape knot. It is a stiff brush but the tips are nice n soft. the silvertip n 2 band are what I have the hardest time deciding between

On the first, second and fourth from the left, could you post the basic dimensions please?

Thank you.

Phil

Im just going off the top of my head but I wanna say the 2nd was originally 18 but it has a little lip and after I cleaned it out and everything I measure it to 20mm. the fourth I wanna say was 20 but I have not seen it for about a month. I think one of my cats stole it and hit it from me.

Im just going off the top of my head but I wanna say the 2nd was originally 18 but it has a little lip and after I cleaned it out and everything I measure it to 20mm. the fourth I wanna say was 20 but I have not seen it for about a month. I think one of my cats stole it and hit it from me.

I am sorry, I was unclear. I have a lathe, and want to make a brush entirely. I am looking for the length and large and small diameters of the handle. The local antique finds have been thin by me. Those three brushes look like something I may find comfortable.

Thank you
Phil

I am sorry, I was unclear. I have a lathe, and want to make a brush entirely. I am looking for the length and large and small diameters of the handle. The local antique finds have been thin by me. Those three brushes look like something I may find comfortable.

Thank you
Phil

Ooooo sorry. When I get home I can break out my tools and measure them. If you want I can measure the big one too. The small wood and black I have apart and the rubberset black piece just screws off but Im sure If you were making one just extend it and drill to fir the knot. The big one was orginally a 28mm bore but it had the lil lip on the inside and I sanded it out so It can fit a 30 when I get the funds. But I will take the measurements when I get home tonight, which might not be till real late but I should have um back up tommorow for ya.

Thank you, and no hurry. I need to order material, and I won't have the chuck for the lathe till after Christmas.

Phil

Top Bottom