What's new

The tale of a $2.00 New.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hello B&Bers,

I wanted to share a story of a $2.00 New I picked up last saturday. I was out checking a few antique shops looking for something to donate to the PIF for Saint Sue. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=173650 (Being fairly new at this I wanted to donate but do not have a very large den.) I did not find anything to donate but as I was walking around this one store I happened to see this razor lying on a table pushed way to the back. Let me tell you this thing was the ugliest color of black and green I have ever seen. I looked at the tag and it said "Antique Razor maybe a Gillette $2.00." I could tell it was a New Type, the teeth were all present and straight so I grabbed it. I thought everyone needs some love so lets see what we can do with this thing.

I paid my $2.00 and the guy asked me at the counter what I was going to do with it. I said "clean it up and shave with it." He looked at me like I had snakes growing out of my head. On the way home it went into cardiac arrest several times but I kept it alive until I got it into a bath of scrubbing bubbles. You could here it sigh with relief. After four soakings and polishings the little guy was finally healed. He has lost his skin but is now presentable to appear in public. I shaved with him Sunday morning.

You are probably all wondering where I am going with this....well here it is. This razor was given a 2nd chance at life. It was discovered on a hunt looking for something to donate to the PIF David started to raise money for breast cancer in the name of Sue. I never met her but feel I know her from all the wonderful things I have read on this forum. This New will forever stay in my den as tribute to all we have lost to this disease, for all who are fighting it, and to all those who have beat it. SWMBO's Mother fought it and won. So I have been touched and it is scary!

So I present to you one ugly razor given a second chance at life and has now become a tribute in my den.

Scott

Last edited:
M

magelsen

Its not the prettiest razor ever, but one of the best shavers that I have in my den.

Lookin' good, Scott.

Rescuing and restoring and old cruddy razor is one of the most rewarding things about this hobby, in my opinion.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Lookin' good, Scott.

Rescuing and restoring and old cruddy razor is one of the most rewarding things about this hobby, in my opinion.

This was my 1st official restoration. I really enjoyed it. The Razor is still not pretty but it has become sentimental. Now I need to see what I can do with that Tech you sold me.:laugh:

Scott

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
did you take a before picture?!

I totally forgot to. But trust me when I say this thing was the ugliest shades of black and green I have ever seen. If I did not know the look of a new I am not sure it would have been identifiable.:001_huh:

Scott

"Now I need to see what I can do with that Tech you sold me"

You won't be needing that Tech if you have a NEW available to shave with. Shaving with a NEW is like an entirely different experience.

DD

This is awesome! And is it just me or is the razor now slightly pink? If so it's even more appropriate.:thumbup:
Great story and lovely sentiment :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This is awesome! And is it just me or is the razor now slightly pink? If so it's even more appropriate.:thumbup:
Great story and lovely sentiment :)

It is just the normal color with plate loss. But we can think pink.

I like it, there's something really cool about the two-tone look when the gold comes off. And yes, the pink color is most appropriate.

MIke

"Now I need to see what I can do with that Tech you sold me"

You won't be needing that Tech if you have a NEW available to shave with. Shaving with a NEW is like an entirely different experience.

DD

I agree, i am thinking of paring my DE's just down to this same OC.

Top Bottom