What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

I have a question for those with Japanese western blades and kamisori. I currently have a Henkotsu Kamisori and the edge it took is fantastic but Im not sure if it is because of the steel or the asymmetrical grind. Do those of you with both kamisoris and western grinds notice that they take a similar edge, and is the steel similar between the hard steel hagane on kamisoris and the steel used in some western grinds?
Thanks

I have a question for those with Japanese western blades and kamisori. I currently have a Henkotsu Kamisori and the edge it took is fantastic but Im not sure if it is because of the steel or the asymmetrical grind. Do those of you with both kamisoris and western grinds notice that they take a similar edge, and is the steel similar between the hard steel hagane on kamisoris and the steel used in some western grinds?
Thanks
The grind first and the steel are equally important. The grind allows for extremely keen edge, the steel quality allows for very fine edge.

How would you compare the average japanese western like a coral or tan fuji follow ground to something like a kamisori

How would you compare the average japanese western like a coral or tan fuji follow ground to something like a kamisori
Tanifuji is one of the best brands to get out there.
I personally am not fan of Kamisori, I prefer kamisori style western.

This came in today from Japan a NOS vintage Japanese Gold Rex for Barber first quality full hollow 13/16, I'm so pleased to have picked this razor up has I always regretted foolishly trading the very same razor a few years back it was a fantastic shaver so when I saw this I jumped on it.:)

This one's a sweet shaver.

$24558A4C-1B63-466E-96EE-C33EADE145D0.jpg

One of my TOSUKE kamisori.
I have two more of these (purple and black) but only have photo of the red at the moment.

$Tousuke.jpg

Top Bottom