What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

For some reason there's a lot Scheön Burgs showing up lately :001_rolle

Here's mine:

Attachments

• $Zephyr Toyo 666.JPG
    $Zephyr Toyo 666.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 503
These two are not mine, I'm simply honing them up.

I love the "blacked out" steel on the Shoen Burg, and the craftsmanship on the Tanifuji is excellent!

wow, you did an excellent job making these shave ready!!! I can't wait to put them to my face for the first time...Thanks again for applying your special honing talent!

my latest one, Y.s.s 650, kamisori grind. I had to rescales it as the originals broke when I was unpining for the blade restore.

Attachments

• $IMG_4040.jpg
    $IMG_4040.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 468
  • $IMG_4041.jpg
    $IMG_4041.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 470
  • $IMG_4033.jpg
    $IMG_4033.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 464
my latest one, Y.s.s 650, kamisori grind. I had to rescales it as the originals broke when I was unpining for the blade restore.

Man that looks like a great shaver. I have a round tip kamisori grind one that I got off the bay, the only thing that could make it better would be a having a square point..

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not a typical "Tosuke" grip on this kamisori
proxy.php

On the ura side of the rubber grip is written "Kikusui".
From Wikipedia:
"Kikusui (菊水町; -machi) was a town located in Tamana District, Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan. On March 1, 2006 Kikusui was merged with the town of Mikawa, also from Tamana District, to form the new town of Nagomi and no longer exists as an independent municipality. As of 2005, the town had an estimated population of 6,523 and a density of 170 persons per km². The total area was 38.27 km²" and this: "The Kikusui ("Floating Chrysanthemum") raids, a series of ten large kamikaze suicide raids carried out by Imperial Japanese Navy and Imperial Japanese Army aircraft against Allied ships off Okinawa in 1945"

Are those floating chrysanthemum's on this kamisori's handle????? Also, "Kikusui", among many other Google hits, is a brewer of saki and a hotel.

proxy.php

The name on the omote side of the rubber grip is "Yasuki" and it is the name of the steel. Details regarding this steel can be found here: http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/medi..._M_WE_D_en.pdf

I Love looking at Japanese razors, both kamisori and western style. They seem to have a unique type of craftsmanship.

I Love looking at Japanese razors, both kamisori and western style. They seem to have a unique type of craftsmanship.

x2... something about their traditional craftsmanship that appeals to me. the closest thing i have to a japanese razor is my kai captain, and i think i can understand the love for their razors. they are just so well made.

Just got my first Japanese straight!

It's a 6/8 Kikuhide, and it's been neglected for far too long. Tough to find information on the maker because (according to google) "Kikuhide" has never been mentioned here or at SRP. If anyone else owns one, or has any info on the company history, please let me know! For anyone who cares, the Kikuhide shop is on Harumi Dori in the heart of Ginza, directly across from where the Kabuki-za used to stand. This is taken from their website via google translate:

Google Translate said:
Long-established tradition of cutlery with nearly 100 years in front of Imperial Palace. Famous blacksmith handmade knives, including scissors, nail clippers are popular in 40. Domestic stocks and custom knives knife making material from the tool as one of the founders of Japan raised the knife custom knife Guild of Japan.

I don't know what that means, but I'm going to give it a once over with some maas before hand sanding (I have 220, 600, 800, and 1200 grits). I'll finish with a dremel and a couple of emery/polishing compounds. This is my first real crack at what might qualify as a restoration project. I'd like to unpin for a more thorough job (and because the pivot is a bit loose), but I don't have the material to re-pin (doh!). Anyway, here are a few phone pics of its current state:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's a small photo update on the Kikuhide. Far from perfection obviously, but I'm satisfied with the result. Still have to clean up the scales and have it honed.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks guys. Considering it was my first restoration I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Feels absolutely wonderful in the hand, and I'm sure the shave will match.

Top Bottom