What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
hey, i'm sure this really isn't the place to ask, but would any of you happen to know if the darker steel on the blade half of this razor is a different steel (knowing japanese style cutlery there is a good chance it is a laminated blade.)? i've notice laminated blades on a couple of these razors, mainly the ttraditional ones though. man... wish that a 16 yr old could afford one of those traditional j-razors.... beautiful work... would you happen to know if the ones with handles are "full tang" if you will? it really wouldn't make a difference, but i'm very into blade smithing, especialy of the eastern sort and it's very interesting. thank you!

I am not knowledgeable enough to say if it's the same or different piece of steel. I would think it's the same and the darker piece was blued... I do not own this razor anymore...

hey, i'm sure this really isn't the place to ask, but would any of you happen to know if the darker steel on the blade half of this razor is a different steel (knowing japanese style cutlery there is a good chance it is a laminated blade.)? i've notice laminated blades on a couple of these razors, mainly the ttraditional ones though. man... wish that a 16 yr old could afford one of those traditional j-razors.... beautiful work... would you happen to know if the ones with handles are "full tang" if you will? it really wouldn't make a difference, but i'm very into blade smithing, especialy of the eastern sort and it's very interesting. thank you!
As with any Frameback the steel in the blade is high quality while the steel in the frame holding the blade is of a lower cheaper quality allowing for more razors with a fine blade to be made.

The frame backs are made the same way as western frame back, the core is harder than the spine. On the particular razor on the pic, it looks like the tang is blued, but it could be the light of the pic that make sit look so.
Kamisori are not laminated, they are indeed similar to traditional cutlery, a piece of hard steel is forge welded to soft iron.

when it was said that only one side is traditionaly used to shave with (kamisori) that would be the side with the hollow right? and then sharpened "kata-ha" style? because i would think that using the ura (if i'm not mistaken) would seem kind of awkward, the incline and all.

i see that on murray carters website he has a few offerings as far as straights. not only kamisori's (is that the correct plural?) but western styles aswell. but the western styles are... a might expenisive. but the all seem to have nice scales/handles. and are laminated hitatchi white #1 to gokunan-tetsu. i'm really not sure about the western styles exept one that is damascus.

when it was said that only one side is traditionaly used to shave with (kamisori) that would be the side with the hollow right? and then sharpened "kata-ha" style? because i would think that using the ura (if i'm not mistaken) would seem kind of awkward, the incline and all.

i see that on murray carters website he has a few offerings as far as straights. not only kamisori's (is that the correct plural?) but western styles aswell. but the western styles are... a might expenisive. but the all seem to have nice scales/handles. and are laminated hitatchi white #1 to gokunan-tetsu. i'm really not sure about the western styles exept one that is damascus.
Actually both sides of kamisori have hollow grind, but you shave with the side that does not have kanji towards the skin. I have used both sides and it works just fine though. I can't see any razors on Murray's site.

Last edited:
i see that on murray carters website he has a few offerings as far as straights.

Sorry, what site is that? I'm going mad here trying to find japanese straight razors, western style... B/S/T ones go up in a matter of minutes and I'm on the wrong side of the globe to be awake when they are posted!

Norikazu Kanetake Kamisori, 45mm

proxy.php

Hayashi Diamond, 6/8

proxy.php

Are these non-folding razors as intimidating to use as they look?

Telly was kind enough to find this for me a short time back and I really appreciate it. I love the short blade and 1/4 hollow. It is absolutely mint also.

Attachments

• $SS850437.jpg
    $SS850437.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 454
Yama, this one is only passing trough my hands but it is good to post because I do not think it has been posted before:

Attachments

• $IMG_3719.jpg
    $IMG_3719.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 406
  • $IMG_3715.jpg
    $IMG_3715.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 408
Towa 13/16

Attachments

• $100_2975.jpg
    $100_2975.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 405
  • $100_2982.jpg
    $100_2982.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 407
  • $100_2980.jpg
    $100_2980.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 409
I have tried the Kamisori and to me the blade is too short I can't seem to get a good shave without both spikes getting me at once. Very nice blade Mike!!!

I have tried the Kamisori and to me the blade is too short I can't seem to get a good shave without both spikes getting me at once. Very nice blade Mike!!!

It wasn't my cup of tea either Scott. But I did manage a nice shave with one, a nice hole in my cheek too LOL.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I realised that I never posted mine... It's a Aurora Finest Steel 201. It doesn't have a stamp on the other side but seen other Aurora that were Made in Tokyo. Great razor! It looks like the razor was stamped twice, which I find unusual...

Attachments

• $Aurora Razor 1.JPG
    $Aurora Razor 1.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 377
  • $Aurora Razor 2.JPG
    $Aurora Razor 2.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 373
  • $Aurora Razor 3.JPG
    $Aurora Razor 3.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 376
  • $Aurora Razor 4.JPG
    $Aurora Razor 4.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 376
  • $Aurora Razor 5.JPG
    $Aurora Razor 5.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 374
I have a Cape that was stamped twice on one side. I think the Japanese do things like this on purpose to humble themselves or something along those lines. You will often see things near perfect but with at least one noticeable flaw.Other than the one flaw items are of highest quality generally.

I realised that I never posted mine... It's a Aurora Finest Steel 201. It doesn't have a stamp on the other side but seen other Aurora that were Made in Tokyo. Great razor! It looks like the razor was stamped twice, which I find unusual...

Did you get this razor from me? It looks familiar.

Top Bottom