What's new

Weather's colder - how do you keep your skin from getting dry?

Hi gents,

With the cold weather approaching, I'd like to know how you all stave off dry skin? For me, it's a bottle of Nivea Extra Enriched Lotion that goes on after a shower.

- ice

A humidifier helps, as does maintaining a moderate temperature in the shower/bath and not exposing yourself to extremely hot water.

I have also read that unless you perspire heavily, you should try to only wash the "important parts" that may begin to smell (underarms and below the waist). The article suggested that you not wash your arms, legs, torso, etc. every time you bathe, but instead wash every other day to prevent drying from soap. I usually wash my arms and upper legs, but leave out the calf region below the knee, as it gets extremely dry.

As far as bath products, try a good quality bar soap that contains olive oil. I have tried nearly every readily available men's body wash that claims to moisturize, and none of them work. I use an olive oil soap that says "Marseille 72%" on it, and is 72% olive oil. In addition to that, I rub baby oil on my skin in the shower, let it sit for a couple minutes and rinse off. Be careful, as this makes your tub EXTREMELY slick.

I use shea and cocoa butter baby body wash. It moisturizes my skin great and keeps me from drying out.

I also use a little aveno moisturizer for my hands that get dry from work.

Hi gents,

With the cold weather approaching, I'd like to know how you all stave off dry skin? For me, it's a bottle of Nivea Extra Enriched Lotion that goes on after a shower.

- ice

That's a terrible problem for me and what works best is Mama Bear's glycerin soaps. They are expensive, so I only use it when I have to.

I have a few problem areas with dry skin in cooler weather, mainly my lower legs. I usually apply baby oil while skin is still wet and lightly towel off those areas so as to seal in the moisture.

A humidifier helps, as does maintaining a moderate temperature in the shower/bath and not exposing yourself to extremely hot water.

I have also read that unless you perspire heavily, you should try to only wash the "important parts" that may begin to smell (underarms and below the waist). The article suggested that you not wash your arms, legs, torso, etc. every time you bathe, but instead wash every other day to prevent drying from soap. I usually wash my arms and upper legs, but leave out the calf region below the knee, as it gets extremely dry.

As far as bath products, try a good quality bar soap that contains olive oil. I have tried nearly every readily available men's body wash that claims to moisturize, and none of them work. I use an olive oil soap that says "Marseille 72%" on it, and is 72% olive oil. In addition to that, I rub baby oil on my skin in the shower, let it sit for a couple minutes and rinse off. Be careful, as this makes your tub EXTREMELY slick.

Hmm, no thanks..

Top Bottom