What's new

Two cooncatbob customized DE razors!!

Most of us here have seen Bob's masterpieces in the Vendor section, and on here in the Safety Forums. He's a real master with a lathe, and his designs are great too.

I recently had him work on a couple of razors for me.

The first is a slight variation on his famous Bull Mastiff handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is a Bull Mastiff XL handle made in bronze, with a bronze plated NEW head.

It weighs in over 100g and it is lovely. It hasn't got a patina yet, and I'm considering patinating it chemically (can be done). Even now, it's a lovely razor and it shaves brilliantly. It's a little more aggressive than a standard NEW, but it is smoooooth!!

The second razor is a customized Merkur Progress.

The Progress is easily my favourite adjustable, but the handle and knob leave a bit to be desired. Mer offers a very nice modification to the Progress, in which he adjusts the adjusting limits and he adds a very nice metal knob. I've had two Mergress razors (a long and a short handled version). They've both been superb, but I got rid of them for one reason or another.

I wanted my vintage Progress modified to make it heavier, so I asked Bob if he'd be willing to convert it to a Bull Progress.

Boy! Did he do a great job!!

Here it is:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's also 100 g. Bob replaces the numbered dial with one that doesn't have numbers, but that works really well. The handle has much more grip, and the whole razor has a more substantial feel to it.

With the added weight (and length - he took a short handle Progress and essentially added a BM XL Deluxe handle to it) it shaves brilliantly.

All I can say is: he does great work! He took a good razor and made it great! :thumbup:

I've had some inquiries about the conversion of the Progress, so here are some more pics (this time without the shadows).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Progress is completely sacrificed in the conversion, with the handle cut off and replaced with the hollow BM handle.

Another difference from the Progress and Mergress conversion is that the originally 2-piece Progress becomes a bona-fide 3-piece razor.

proxy.php

Bob also adds a magnet in the knob to pick blades up with. I don't see the purpose of this, but some people like it. :thumbup1:

I've had some inquiries about the conversion of the Progress, so here are some more pics (this time without the shadows).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Progress is completely sacrificed in the conversion, with the handle cut off and replaced with the hollow BM handle.

Another difference from the Progress and Mergress conversion is that the originally 2-piece Progress becomes a bona-fide 3-piece razor.

proxy.php

Bob also adds a magnet in the knob to pick blades up with. I don't see the purpose of this, but some people like it. :thumbup1:

these are great ! 100 grams is what I like,my heaviest razors are my best shavers...I think the old eclipse had a magnet to pick up blades also,but it may have been another old razor....

these are great ! 100 grams is what I like,my heaviest razors are my best shavers...I think the old eclipse had a magnet to pick up blades also,but it may have been another old razor....

Bob pointed out to me that the Eclipse Red Ring had a magnet in the knob for picking up blades off a flat surface, so you're right about that. :001_smile

So that's what the magnet is in there for (along with helping with production as well, apparently).

I'm one of those guys who never removes a blade from a razor except to pitch it, so I was wondering about how many people would actually find the magnet useful as a blade picker-upper, still it could come in handy. :biggrin1:

Anyway, it's cool to have it there.

Top Bottom