What's new

Fat boy is rusting! need help!

Hello.

Normally I am pretty good about cleaning/drying my razor after using. However, I left the razor with some moisture in it. When I went to shave today a reddish brown rust had formed. It scrubbed mostly off w/ an old tooth brush. But I need some help cleaning it out.

Thanks
Eddie

Eddie
Your fatboy is made of a brass/bronze alloy and will not rust. If the film is red or brown its mineral deposits left by the water.
If its green or yellow its oxidation of the base metal. Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner does a good job of removing the film.

My wife's lady gillette does the same thing. I think it's from not drying out my bowl completely and putting our razors in it. If there's any moisture on the head of the razor, there's rust. I cleaned the head and the red stuff came off. Seems to be coming from the blade, not the razor itself.

E.

I too always understood that the razor is brass and plated with nickel. As such it wouldn't be rust I would have thought.

I read somewhere that nickel has or can have a brassy type of look when it isn't polished. I understood that that's one of the reasons that chrome is used - in addition to being harder than nickel, it will retain a shiny silver (actually chrome) look to it.

I am wondering if part of what you are seeing here isn't just the colour of the nickel? (And or perhaps partly the colour of the brass underneath of the nickel plate if the nickel is thin.)

If it comes off with a big of polishing, and there isn't any pitting or corrosion. Whatever you do, don't get carried away polishing. That's a sure way to wear out the nickel finish.

I too am wondering if it is really rust. Rust, I would have thought would leave pitting and roughness behind after it is cleaned. But if it is the colour of the metal or one of the colours that the metal shows when it is left wet for a while, it maybe that it isn't rust.

I have a 1956 Superspeed that shows a brassy look under the head, on the ferrule, a few weeks after polishing. When I polished it with metal polish, the brassyness seems to disappear. A thought anyway.

Top Bottom