What's new

Quick Shaving Prep?

I often and in a rush in the morning. I face lather at the sink with Bigelow or KMF and use an EJ DE 89 or Merkur HD. Any suggestions for a quick pre-shave prep to hydrate my skin and make for better shaves? Any products suggested?

I have been using Proraso preshave first. It has some menthol and gives a slight tingle while shaving.
IMHO
------------------------------------------------------
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

When I am in a rush I use the cold water method. First I was my face with cool water. Then apply some Proraso pre-post shave very lightly. Prepare my lather. Rinse my face with cool water, lather up, and shave.

I actually did a quick prep this morning. I usually get horrible shaves if I don't shower before... but here is what I did.

Lathered up face with Proraso.
Slapped a hot wash rag on my face for a minute or so.
Rinsed off, re-lathered
Slapped a hot wash rag on my face for a minute or so.
Touched up the lather and started shaving.

Worked great for me YMMV!

Well maybe this isn't exactly quick, but it's quicker than a full fledged shower then shave.

Whether I face lather or bowl lather, I just spend about a minute lathering on my wet face, and am good to go.

I won't say it is the best prep, or even a complete prep, but I get really good results with putting hair conditioner on my face while I generate my lather. I wet my face, and then apply the hair conditioner, and it get's to sit on my face for about 3 minutes. I then wet my face again, and apply the lather on top of it.

The current conditioner is Suave Raspberry, but I have had good luck with Dove as well.

When I'm in a hurry I:

1) hot water splash and then some tea tree oil (or I put on the oil after washing face in shower)
2) brush my teeth (1 minute, or so) -- sometimes in the shower...
3) face-lather-to-cover (only) -- I've been known to skip this if in the field (the oil works alone, if need be)
4) shave per normal
5) hot water, then cold water splash
6) maybe some balm...

This isn't as pleasant as the drawn-out routine, but the result is pretty close.

Top Bottom