What's new

Your Favorite Tallow-Based Soap?

I alternate between Tabac and MWF, with a tendency to favour the latter. Plan to try the moos in future though.

Curious about C&S soaps. In our Reviews, they appear to be rated lower than D.R. Harris (not withstanding cost). Probably just the subjective view of the user compared to whatever unknown soap they had used before?

Curious about C&S soaps. In our Reviews, they appear to be rated lower than D.R. Harris (not withstanding cost). Probably just the subjective view of the user compared to whatever unknown soap they had used before?

It also could be that they use price of the soap combined with realistic (read non-hyperbolic) numbers to come up with their score. The O&C was said to be as good as AOS in terms of efficacy (a great soap), and the 88 was spoken highly of with the exception of the price.

I think they are excellent soaps, and I'd say they're the closest thing to old formula Pen's as there is on the market. I prefer them to AOS, but it's mostly because of the scent. :001_smile

Last edited:
Good to hear, Paul! I may try one. Are they much more tallow than others? I hear that there are tallow-first, tallow-second, etc labels, but don't know which ones are which. Suspect with the "tallow thing", the position for all of them will continue to slide down.

I have very hard water which really challenges soaps (at least I find this to be the case) and I've found I am pretty much only using tallow based soaps - they just perform far better than anything else with the water I have. My faves:

Cella
Valobra
AOS Sandalwood

The only non-tallows I use and that are excellent are Pre de Provence, and Dr. Harris Lavender.

Funny, I have given MWF so many chances - I've bought it twice (threw out the first puck) but it just doesn't perform for me. I have no problems with lathering or anything like that and I really wish it would work as I love the smell - I'll have to try it with softer water sometime.

Now I AM confused! Thought D.R. Harris, including lavender, was tallow!

Edit: okay, went back to the wiki. D.R. Harris is listed as "tallow (sort of)".

Last edited:
Well since we can answer with more than one:

MWF
Valobra
AoS
D.R. Harris
Irisch Moos
Cella
P160

Pretty much all the soaps in my rotation.

MWF
Valobra stick
D.R. Harris (I don't think Harris soaps can be considered tallow based as palm oil is the first ingredient, but they are very good soaps)
Wilkinson Sword stick
Cella
Speick

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think they are excellent soaps, and I'd say they're the closest thing to old formula Pen's as there is on the market. I prefer them to AOS, but it's mostly because of the scent. :001_smile

Same Valobra base as the AoS plus killer C&S scents equals amzing soap. :thumbup1:

Why doesn't Valobra release their own high end line?

Tabac
Speick
Palmolive

...depending on what scent I'm feeling that day. All three are equally wonderful to my face.

Top Bottom