What's new

Don't get in a hurry!

First DE shave in maybe 2 decades and I have re-learned not to get in a hurry!

Got my cheap DE razor from eBay today and gave it a try and I'm STILL holding paper to my face. Perhaps I'll find something a bit better -- SOON!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on taking it slow but you already know that.

You will gain speed with practice!

I have been doing the DE thing for about two months and I still have to remind myself of this on occasion. Rushed myself this morning and got a nice cut on the chin for my trouble. First cut I have had in a about a month or so and it will serve as a reminder to take my time.

Definitely slow down and take your time! Once you get the technique down, then the shaves will get quicker. What DE razor did you get?

I got a VERY CHEAP DE -- see eBay item # 230540820008

Even though it says "built on the expired patent design 1956175 issued to Gillette Safety Razor Co. on April 24, 1934" it is pretty easy to see that it isn't inexpensive, it's CHEAP. The lid of the case says "BIG ROC" on it, the bottom of the case has some Chinese, along with "BR-997 SHAVER"

Comes with one "LORD" blade in the case -- and that blade might be a problem, it seems to be cheap, too!

The seller will get good feedback, BTW -- he had it boxed & shipped by the end of the day that I bought it!

First DE shave in maybe 2 decades and I have re-learned not to get in a hurry!

Got my cheap DE razor from eBay today and gave it a try and I'm STILL holding paper to my face. Perhaps I'll find something a bit better -- SOON!

I did the same thing you did. My first one was defective (a Parker 91R). I e-mailed one of the vendors that is represented here and he told me what he personally used, the Merkur 34C. I liked it very much, but shortly thereafter I wanted something more aggressive and found the perfect DE razor for me, the Merkur 37C. They sell new for about $37.00. Look at our Buy/Sell/Trade forum and you can often find one for less, usually with shipping included.

Of course there are other razors. Pick the brains of our members. These vendors we have here will eagerly work with you to help access your needs.

We can share our preferences for brushes, blades, aftershaves, and outstanding soaps.

There are great shaves to be had for just about any budget.

Thanks, California. I just wish I could still walk into Wal Mart or Walgreens and buy a Gillette adjustable -- I didn't realize Gillette had quit offering them until 3 or 4 days ago!

BTW, you're in Lafayette? That's pretty close to the highest mountain in Louisiana -- the high bridge at Lake Charles!

I have been DE shaving for about a year and a half now, and have actually had some of my worst shaves in the last month or so, with some major cuts (really major). The reason: I have been TOO relaxed, not thinking about the blade angle, and just being sloppy. This morning, after another neck slice, I decided it is time for me to slow down, enjoy the shave a bit more, and concentrate a little more on what I am doing. :blush:

I have been doing the DE thing for about two months and I still have to remind myself of this on occasion. Rushed myself this morning and got a nice cut on the chin for my trouble. First cut I have had in a about a month or so and it will serve as a reminder to take my time.

Been there, done that. And still do occasionally after 10 months of DE shaving! Slow and easy and a fabulous experience to be had every time.

David

So I ran to Wal Mart and bought their last package of 10 Wilkinson blades and tried one just now. Seems to be MUCH better than what happened yesterday, but whether that's due to experience, returning memory, or a better blade is yet to be determined!

Top Bottom