What's new

Shaving Brush Knot Size Question

If I understand correctly, the "Knot Size" of a brush is the diameter of the "group" of hairs measured right at the base of the handle.

Obviously on a larger knot size brush, it will have more hairs.

Is it safe to ***-u-me that a larger knot DOES NOT have any bearing on the stiffness of the brush?? I would guess that the length of the hair (from base {knot} to tip) would have a larger bearing on that characteristic, would it not??

I'm no expert on this but there are several things that determine stiffness of the hairs. Certainly the hair length is a factor but also the type of hair, pure badger, best, silvertip, finest also how the hair is treated by the manufacturer, the shape of the knot at the shaving end and the overall quality of the hair. Remember there is no universal grading system so its all what the processer calls it basically.

If I understand correctly, the "Knot Size" of a brush is the diameter of the "group" of hairs measured right at the base of the handle.

Obviously on a larger knot size brush, it will have more hairs.

Is it safe to ***-u-me that a larger knot DOES NOT have any bearing on the stiffness of the brush?? I would guess that the length of the hair (from base {knot} to tip) would have a larger bearing on that characteristic, would it not??

Yes and no for both questions. More hairs can sometimes make a stiffer brush. It depends on the manufacturer. Shavemacs are stiffer the bigger up the ladder you go. But Savile Rows get floppier (the supers not the silvertips).
Generally the a shorter loft (the length of hair from base to tip) will make a stiffer brush but not always neccesarily. Some brushes with a longer loft are going to be much stiffer than those with a shorter because of the stiffness of the individual hair. IMO this is the defining feature to stiffness, not density or loft.
Some manufacturers have a reputation for stiffness, truly I would go by that, rather than any formula you may try to devise.

Good luck:clover:

Top Bottom